+ Reply to Thread

Thread: statistical test for a cancer vs normal comparison from the same patient

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26

Thanks

statistical test for a cancer vs normal comparison from the same patient

Hello,

I have a question concerning which statistical test is best for analyzing my data.
    I measured the activity of an enzyme in primary cells derived from cancer tissue and its normal matched tissue from the same patient. In a bar graph, each bar represents the average of 4 values since each condition was assessed in quadruplicate. Data are expressed as fold change over the normal tissue (control), which is equal to 1. Since the tissues are from the same patient and the tumor directly derives from its normal-matched tissue, I thought a paired t test was the right choice. Someone told me that an unpaired t test would be more appropriate because this is not a clear “before and after” situation. Any suggestion in helping me choosing the right statistical test for this situation would be really appreciated. Thanks.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Re: statistical test for a cancer vs normal comparison from the same patient

Definitely, this is a clear case of paired t-test. The precondition for the test is to have a way of building pairs, before-after is just a handy way of doing this, nothing else.
    regatds

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26

Thanks

Re: statistical test for a cancer vs normal comparison from the same patient

Thank you very much!

+ Reply to Thread