+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Poisson/NegBin, RE) Estimation of time-invariant predictors in a panel model

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Thanks

(Poisson/NegBin, RE) Estimation of time-invariant predictors in a panel model

Hello dear forum members,

For a time being I had been working with the following model (Stata command format):
    - xtpoisson y x1 x2 x3 x4 x5, fe-

where, y(it) is a count DV, x1-x2(it) are controls, and x3-x5(it) are the predictors of interest, i -- denotes an individual (N = 1750), and t -- denotes year (2009-2015).
    Note, I used POI-FE as suggested by Jeff Wooldridge, because of its robustness to over-dispersion and auto-correlation.

Now, there are new predictors of interest -- x6, x7, x8, x9 -- all of which were collected as time-invariant (in reality, x6/x9 do vary though, but it is not feasible to capture this variation). I did try some "panelization" strategies and use POI-FE estimator, however the consistency of the estimates was not satisfactory.

Therefore, I decided to keep the time-invariant predictors of interest (i.e., x6/x9) as is and estimate their effect using random-effects model specification:

-xtpoisson y x1 x2 x6 x7 x8 x9, re-
    or (depending on the performance of the variance function)
    -xtnbreg y x1 x2 x6 x7 x8 x9, re-

To ensure robustness of the estimates, I also consider GLM and QMLE (-ppml-) estimators.

Is this a plausible approach to estimate the effects of time-invariant predictors in a panel model?

Thankfully,
    kiton

Thanks

Re: (Poisson/NegBin, RE) Estimation of time-invariant predictors in a panel model

A day spent exploring the solution leads to a night of (hopefully fruitful) reading. Looks like system GMM and/or Hausman-Taylor can do the trick with time-invariants better

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: (Poisson/NegBin, RE) Estimation of time-invariant predictors in a panel model

I think of time invariants as fixed variables when you have longitudinal data. Is this what you are referencing or not?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    I think of time invariants as fixed variables when you have longitudinal data. Is this what you are referencing or not?
    Correct, Sir -- time invariants are fixed. The task in hand is to come up with an estimator that will (to a maximum extent possible) be consistent for estimating the coefficients of fixed variables.

+ Reply to Thread