+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computing effect size with adverse event counts?

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Computing effect size with adverse event counts?

Hello! I'm working on a meta-analysis, and I have a special problem regarding effect size. Can anyone lend me some insight?

I have a treatment and a control group, and for each group I have the number of adverse events (not the number of people in each group experiencing the event, but the raw count of events). A single patient may experience multiple instances of the adverse event. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate effect size with this. I can't use odds-ratio because the count of adverse events is continuous and not dichotomous, and I can't use mean difference because the number of adverse events is not tracked at the level of the individual subject. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by wag; 03-14-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22

Thanks

Re: Computing effect size with adverse event counts?

you could divide the adverse events into categories and calculate the effect size of each category of event. For instance in a study of postoperative cardiac patients you could look at how many patients in each group had postoperative nausea and vomiting and calculate your RR, similarly you could look at how many had postoperative dementia and determine the RR etc.

+ Reply to Thread