+ Reply to Thread

Thread: statistics and probability question

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Post statistics and probability question

Winnipeg has three professional sports teams - the Winnipeg Jets hockey team, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team and the Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball team.

Suppose we have the following information about Winnipeg residents:

55% are Jets fans (J)
    40% are Bombers fans (B)
    64% are Jets fans or Goldeyes fans (G)
    50% are Bombers fans or Goldeyes fans
    27% are Jets fans and Bombers fans
    11% are Jets fans and Goldeyes fans
    6% are fans of all three teams

We will randomly select one Winnipeg resident.

(a) The outcome of interest is which (if any) of the three teams the person is a fan. List the complete sample space of outcomes.

(b) What is the probability that the selected person is a Jets fan or a Bombers fan?

(c) What is the probability that the selected person is a Goldeyes fan?

(d) What is the probability that the selected person is a Bombers fan and a Goldeyes fan?

(e) Are any two of the events (J, B, G) independent of one another? Explain.

(f) Are any of the two events (J, B, G) mutually exclusive of one another? Explain.

(g) Without doing any calculations, what is the probability that a Goldeyes fan is also a Jets fan?

(h) What is the probability that the selected person is a Jets fan but not a Bombers fan?

(i) What is the probaiblity that the selected person is a Jets fan if we know they are not a Bombers fan?

(j) What is the probaiblity that the selected person is a Goldeyes fan if we know they are a fan of the Jets and Bombers?

(k) What is the probability that the selected person isn't a fan of any of the three teams?

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

Re: statistics and probability question

Hi! We are glad that you posted here! This looks like a homework question though. Our homework help policy can be found here. We mainly just want to see what you have tried so far and that you have put some effort into the problem. I would also suggest checking out this thread for some guidelines on smart posting behavior that can help you get answers that are better much more quickly.
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

+ Reply to Thread