+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparing new and old medical equipment

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 40

Thanks

Comparing new and old medical equipment

***I'm not sure why this posted twice (and I don't know how to delete this one), but please see the other post with the image attached. Thank you!***

Hi everyone,

I have received a data set that looks like the attached.

The company is trying to compare several new pieces of medical equipment against one old machine and also compare the new equipment against each other.

All of the machines are workstations measuring the same thing. They want to make sure that all the new machines are calibrated similarly to the old machine. They also want to make sure that all of the new machines consistently measure the same thing so it doesn't matter which of the new machines that are used, they will all get roughly the same measurement.

Each "subject" is actually a machine technician measuring himself on the old machine and a randomly-selected new machine (there are seven new machines, labeled A-G). Each of these two tests on the same date from the same tech are given their own row in the data set. This testing was repeated about for about 100 sets of two tests, so that all of the new machines are well-represented in the data set.

I am stumped as to how to set up the data and analyze this with the above goals in mind. I feel like I need to restructure the data set and possibly do a GLM or ANOVA.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
    Last edited by DataMom; 03-20-2016 at 05:57 AM.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Re: Comparing new and old medical equipment

hi,
    I think the Bland-Altmann plots were developed for exactly this purpose. You could compare each new system to the old one using this method.
    Regards

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 40

Thanks

Thank you! How do I identify differences between individual machines? Not sure Bland-Altman would allow for that.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DataMom View Post
    Thank you! How do I identify differences between individual machines? Not sure Bland-Altman would allow for that.
    Yes, that is true. But actually, if you prove that all machines are similar to the old one except one, say, then you know which one deviates You could essentially treat the old one as the gold standard, I think.

regards

+ Reply to Thread