+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Probability of having "Best Qualified" applicants in a subset of the entire pool

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 43

Thanks

Probability of having "Best Qualified" applicants in a subset of the entire pool

Probability of having "Best Qualified" applicants in a subset of the entire pool.

I am working on an issue, trying to show whether or not an HR process is flawed (i.e. Cut off by filling date vs assess all 27500 thru validated online assessment)

If I have a large pool of applicants (27500) and want to interview only the first 2100 who applied (non-merit based criteria) how many of the 2100 would considered "Best Qualified"

Assumptions:

20% (5500) of the entire pool (27500) are considered "Best Qualified"
    Random distribution throughout the entire population

I have tried a what I believe was a formula for hypergeometric distribution and set it up in excel, but I do not know what the outcome represents?

I was expecting a number of 420 (20%), but that is based on an ignorance of statistics....just applied the reasoning that if they are randomly distributed then with such large numbers they become a predictable (uniform mix). So if they are at 20% in a population, they would be 20% in a smaller sample population.

I am reaching here......statistics class was a long time ago

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Smangold; 04-25-2016 at 07:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread