+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Restricted Maximum Likelihood (REML) Estimate of Variance Component.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 42

Thanks

Restricted Maximum Likelihood (REML) Estimate of Variance Component.

Let, \mathbf y_i = \mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta + \mathbf Z_i\mathbf b_i+ \mathbf\epsilon_i,

where

\mathbf y_i\sim N(\mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta, \Sigma_i=\sigma^2\mathbf I_{n_i}+\mathbf Z_i \mathbf G\mathbf Z_i'),

\mathbf b_i\sim N(\mathbf 0, \mathbf G),

\mathbf\epsilon_i\sim N(\mathbf 0, \sigma^2\mathbf I_{n_i})

\mathbf y_i is a n_i\times 1 vector of response for i^{th} individual at 1,2,\ldots, n_i time points, \mathbf X_i is a n_i\times p matrix, \mathbf \beta is a p\times 1 vector of fixed effect parameters, \mathbf Z_i is a n_i\times q matrix, \mathbf b_i is a q\times 1 vector of random effects, \mathbf \epsilon_i is a n_i\times 1 vector of within errors, \mathbf G is a q\times q covariance matrix of between-subject, \sigma^2 is a scalar.

Note that, \mathbf X_i, \mathbf Z_i, and \mathbf G do NOT involve \sigma^2.

Now I have to find out the Restricted Maximum Likelihood (REML) Estimate of \sigma^2, that is,

\hat\sigma^2_R = \frac{1}{N_0-p}\sum_{i=1}^{N}(\mathbf y_i-\mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta)'(\mathbf I_{n_i}+\mathbf Z_i \mathbf G\mathbf Z_i')^{-1}(\mathbf y_i-\mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta),\ldots (1)

where N_0 = \sum_{i=1}^{N}n_i.

So first I wrote the Restricted Maximum Log-Likelihood :

l_R \propto -\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}\log\det(\Sigma_i)-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}\log\det(\mathbf X_i'\Sigma_i^{-1}\mathbf X_i)-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N}(\mathbf y_i-\mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta)'\Sigma_i^{-1}(\mathbf y_i-\mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta)

Then I have to differentiate log-likelihood, l_R, with respect to \sigma^2 and equate it to zero, i.e.,

-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma^2}\{\sum_{i=1}^{N}\log\det(\Sigma_i)+\sum_{i=1}^{N}\log\det(\mathbf X_i'\Sigma_i^{-1}\mathbf X_i) +\sum_{i=1}^{N}(\mathbf y_i-\mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta)'\Sigma_i^{-1}(\mathbf y_i-\mathbf X_i\mathbf\beta)\}|_{\sigma^2=\hat\sigma^2_R}=0

But basically I can't differentiate,

\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma^2}\log\det(\Sigma_i)=\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma^2}\log\det(\sigma^2\mathbf I_{n_i}+\mathbf Z_i \mathbf G\mathbf Z_i')

\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma^2}\log\det(\mathbf X_i'\Sigma_i^{-1}\mathbf X_i)=\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma^2}\log\det(\mathbf X_i'(\sigma^2\mathbf I_{n_i}+\mathbf Z_i \mathbf G\mathbf Z_i')^{-1}\mathbf X_i) and

\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma^2}\Sigma_i^{-1}= \frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma^2}(\sigma^2\mathbf I_{n_i}+\mathbf Z_i \mathbf G\mathbf Z_i')^{-1}.

How can I differentiate the above derivatives and get the REML estimate \hat\sigma^2_R in equation (1) ?

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 42

Thanks

Re: Restricted Maximum Likelihood (REML) Estimate of Variance Component.

Quote Originally Posted by tnkvrbox View Post
    Thương hi‡u ZIDOO dần ‘ược khẳng ‘‹nh l* thương hi‡u Android TV Box .......bla,bla,bla

tnkvrbox, YOU ARE REALLY A STUPID GUY. ARE YOU ENEMY OF THE ZIDOO COMPANY, SO THAT YOU DID SUCH NONSENSE, IDIOTIC WORK TO MAKE PEOPLE ANGER OF THAT COMPANY?

+ Reply to Thread