+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help for an exercise please!

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36

Thanks

Help for an exercise please!

Hello! I am very confused about something. I am using a software for the reaction time, I have a distribution, mean and standard deviation. and 2 questions: If my mean is and STD is Can you help me answer these 2 questions?

1) Another student has recorded a reaction time of 350 ms (one observation), and claims that she is "just as fast as you". Estimate the maximum likelihood that this claim is correct! Explain your reasoning with a diagram. (Tip: the PDF tells you approximately what proportion of your reaction times are 350 ms or longer).

2). The same student still insists that she is just as fast as you, and to prove it she records the additional observations 200 ms and 320 ms. Estimate the maximum likelihood that she is right this time. (Tip: the combined probability of three independent events is equal to the product of the individual probabilities, i.e. P = P1 P2 P3, where Pi is the probability of event i).

I hope you can help me!

Thanks

Re: Help for an exercise please!

Quote Originally Posted by itro82 View Post
    Hello! I am very confused about something. I am using a software for the reaction time, I have a distribution, mean and standard deviation. and 2 questions: If my mean is and STD is Can you help me answer these 2 questions?

1) Another student has recorded a reaction time of 350 ms (one observation), and claims that she is "just as fast as you". Estimate the maximum likelihood that this claim is correct! Explain your reasoning with a diagram. (Tip: the PDF tells you approximately what proportion of your reaction times are 350 ms or longer).

2). The same student still insists that she is just as fast as you, and to prove it she records the additional observations 200 ms and 320 ms. Estimate the maximum likelihood that she is right this time. (Tip: the combined probability of three independent events is equal to the product of the individual probabilities, i.e. P = P1 P2 P3, where Pi is the probability of event i).

I hope you can help me!

Well, is it binomial probability? I do not think so, but maybe someone can guide me?

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 940

Thanks

It seems that you lack the details of your data, model, assumptions etc in your introduction part.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BGM View Post
    It seems that you lack the details of your data, model, assumptions etc in your introduction part.
    hi!

I have my "sample" of trials, mean and STD.

my mean is 411, but I do not understand which models/formula I should use to solve this..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itro82 View Post
    hi!

I have my "sample" of trials, mean and STD.

my mean is 411, but I do not understand which models/formula I should use to solve this..
    I am basically using reagera, this basically counts reaction times. the mean of my reaction time (n=40) is 411, my std is 117.
    The exercise asks to calculate the maximum likelihood of a reaction time of another student, providing the "measurement"

+ Reply to Thread