+ Reply to Thread

Thread: remarkable correlations

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

remarkable correlations

Currently I'm writing my thesis on mindfulness and deviant workplace behavior.
    The mindfulness scale that I am using consists of four subscales (observing, acceptance, awareness and describing).

Two of the control variables that I used are weekly contract hours and actual average weekly hours. Weekly contract hours has a mean of 27.05 and SD = 15.90, minimum = 0 and maximum = 75
    Actual average weekly hours has a mean of 33.80 and SD = 14.02, minimum = 0 and maximum is 50

When I did a correlation in SPSS it turned out that weekly contract hours is significantly positive correlated to two mindfulness subscales; acceptance and awareness. However, actual average weekly work hours is only significantly correlated to awareness. Can someone explain why contract hours correlates significant with acceptance (so people with more contract hours have lower acceptance) while actual average work hours doesn't significantly correlates with acceptance to me? :-)

In the attachments you'll find the scatterplots of the correlations.

Thank you so much in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	workinghours.JPG‎
Views:	38
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	6054   Click image for larger version

Name:	contracture.JPG‎
Views:	20
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	6053  

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Thanks

Re: remarkable correlations

Quote Originally Posted by Pooja Guptar View Post

When I did a correlation in SPSS it turned out that weekly contract hours is significantly positive correlated to two mindfulness subscales; acceptance and awareness. However, actual average weekly work hours is only significantly correlated to awareness. Can someone explain why contract hours correlates significant with acceptance (so people with more contract hours have lower acceptance) while actual average work hours doesn't significantly correlates with acceptance to me? :-)
    Because both relationships are measured with substantial uncertainty? Even if the true values of the population correlations betweek work and hours and the mindfulness components was the same regardless of whether you looked at actual or contracted hours, the sample estimates would still vary randomly from one another. Just because one relationship is significant doesn't mean the other will be too. Also, keep in mind that just because one relationship is significant and another isn't, it isn't necessarily the case that the two relationships are significantly different from one another.
    Matt aka CB | twitter.com/matthewmatix

+ Reply to Thread