+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this right?

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39

Thanks

Is this right?

I'm doing a research paper in international relations and I need some help describing the data. For example, in 13 interventions in civil wars, I find economic interventions are successful in 56% of cases, and military interventions are successful in 25% of cases. First, would I say, the probability of military interventions being successful is 25%? Second, if I take 56% divided by 25% to equal 2.24, would I be correct in saying economic intervention is 2.24 times more likely to be successful than military intervention? Or is there another term to use instead of likelihood. What is that function called when I take 56% divided by 25%? Or is this just wrong all together? I don't really have the time or resources to dive into complex logistic regressions, but hopefully it's clear what I'm trying to do here with some simpler math. Thanks.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Is this right?

Your description is not clear. Can you better present your question and hypothesis.

Are data prospectively or retrospectively collected? If the former then you may be interested in relative risks and if the later, then odds ratios.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

+ Reply to Thread