+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which statistical approach?

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 40

Thanks

Which statistical approach?

Dear all,
    I am a biologist with a very poor statistical knowledge so please excuse me if my question is not very well formulated- I am doing my best but don't know where to start.
    I have the following situation:
    I would like to know which of 5 different parameters is best associated with the parameter A (specific gene set).
    Parameters in my case would be gene sets or philogenetical distance between the species. Any idea of how to approach the problem?

Thank you for your patience!

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Which statistical approach?

Can you better describe your variables - how is specific gene set defined? Also, what is your sample size.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Hi,
    I am analizing 80 genomes (so sample size would probably be 80).
    Specific set is for example all the genes that are involved in a certain process (like degradation of a specific substrate or formation of a specific structure). I would basically like to know if specific structure is associated with the degradation of a specific substrate.
    And if not, is it more related to the philogeny of the species or some other factor (like ecosystem).
    I hope it is not too complex.
    Many thanks for your time!

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

With no hands on experiences in this area, I know gene related analytics can be difficult, since you need to attempt to control for your false discovery rate. Meaning if you are testing enough combinations or other variables as well, eventually something will turn up significant. So you need to have a sound a priori protocol layout before researching. In addition, you need to correct your alpha related to statistical significance and 80 observations may be low. Though this is not my field. We can wait to see if anyone else has some input. I would look to comparable studies to see what approaches get used in the literature.

Also, you will likely get better feedback if you update your post title to reflect this is a gene analyses related question. Since that field can be fairly unique in comparison to other applications of statistics.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Re: Which statistical approach (gene analysis related)?

Many thanks for your tips! I will try to look for similar studies but so far I did not find really any of them in my field. I hope my idea is not too complicated..
    All the best!

+ Reply to Thread