+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good sources (books, articles, ....) on the history of Monte Carlo methods?

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Thanks

Good sources (books, articles, ....) on the history of Monte Carlo methods?

I am finally entering the final step of my PhD. Chapter 1 of my dissertation has already been published, Chapter 2 has been submitted for publication and Chapter 3 is kind of in the middle. I just need to stick an Intro and a Conclusion and we'll call it a day. But, before that, I need to present (and defend) a proposal).

Since my dissertation deals essentially with methods and algorithms to simulate multivariate, correlated structures I feel like I need to include a little bit about the history and uses of Monte Carlo simulations (particularly within the socials sciences but that's another story).

Any hints/ideas? Good articles or books or chapters that come to mind? I'm looking more not of a technical source on Monte Carlo simulation but something that deals more with, oh I dunno, the history of it, its applications, the general theory of why they work, etc.

Thanks!
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Good sources (books, articles, ....) on the history of Monte Carlo methods?

Manhattan Project, right?

So did you do a 3 part (project) dissertation?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Thanks

Yes, the Manhattan Project was one of the first instances were Monte Carlo simulation methods (at least as they're understood today) were developed. It's weird to say this but World War 2 was a period where a lot of discoveries in Statistics were made. If you read the original article, for instance, Hotelling's T^2 (so the first instance of MANOVA) was developed within the context of assessing missile trajectories. I guess what I'm looking for is a more "eagle eye"view of this methodology and its uses.

I have 3 "projects" that will comprise my dissertation. As per agreement with my advisor, if I get to publish them (or at least have them submitted), he will count them towards my dissertation. Chapter 1 is here. For Chapter 2 I'm just waiting to see whether it gets accepted or rejected and Chapter 3 is on the works now.

I struggled a lot while writing my Master's thesis so I decided that breaking down the work in chapters/manuscripts for publication made a lot more sense rather than trying to write the whole thing in one go.
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

Human
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spunky View Post
    Since my dissertation deals essentially with methods and algorithms to simulate multivariate, correlated structures I feel like I need to include a little bit about the history and uses of Monte Carlo simulations (particularly within the socials sciences but that's another story).
    You could mention: Student 'The Probable error of a Mean' 1908. in section VI page 13:

"The material used was a correlation table containing the height and left finger measurement of 3000 criminals..."

There you have it: correlated structures, bivariate and social science connection.

"The measurements were written on 3000 pieces of cardboard, which were then very thoroughly shuffled and drawn at random."

Thus, a Monte Carlo method, right?

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Thanks

I suppose Christopher Mooney's Sage publication (book) on Monte Carlo methods (Quantitative Methods Applications for Social Scientists) would be one source.

+ Reply to Thread