+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hypothesis for logistic regression

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 84

Thanks

Hypothesis for logistic regression

I get a group of data and would like to use the regression to analysis the relationship. The dependent variable Y is a kind of loss rate, so it is strictly belong to [0, 1], e.g. I have $100, and I will loss 5% at day 1, 3% on day 2, 4% day 3, ...then Y is (5%, 3%, 4%, ....); I also have some independent variables X1, X2, etc.

Cause Y is belong to [0, 1], when I try the linear regression, I get a lot of negative predicted value when doing the forecast, so I would like to try the logistic regression.

The problem I meet is that, is there any hypothesis for using logistic regression? I choose the family as binomial, the model result is what I would like to see, but I remember that binomial is for 0, 1(classified) problem, can I model the loss rate this way here? Do I need to do any hypothesis test?

Thanks for the kindly help.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Hypothesis for logistic regression

Rates can be modelled with Poisson. Though your DV is still unclear to me. Is it just those 3 values or anything between 0-1?

Depending on the values of DV I believe in some instances you can log transform it to get a broader scale to work with.

Side note as you noted, logistic is usually used with binary or multinomial data, which it seemed you don't have.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 84

Thanks

Hi hlsmith,

Not only 3 DV, I have about 50 values, by using Poisson as the family, do I need to do any hypothesis test for this? e.g. test the distribution of DV to check if it is possion or not.

For the log transform, I try the transform Z=log(1-Y) and then use the linear regression Z~X1+X2 ..., the problem is on the forecast, I still get negative forecasted loss rate, it is because the independent variable used for the forecast is under stressed.

e.g. I model loss rate ~ GDP + unemployment; for the forecast we use forecasted GDP and umemployment with very strong stressed (with a very large jump), this result in a negative projected loss rate, and it doesn't make sense, so I am thinking to use logistic regression to make sure the forecast loss rate is between 0-1.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsico007 View Post
    I get a group of data and would like to use the regression to analysis the relationship. The dependent variable Y is a kind of loss rate, so it is strictly belong to [0, 1], e.g. I have $100, and I will loss 5% at day 1, 3% on day 2, 4% day 3, ...then Y is (5%, 3%, 4%, ....); I also have some independent variables X1, X2, etc.

Cause Y is belong to [0, 1], when I try the linear regression, I get a lot of negative predicted value when doing the forecast, so I would like to try the logistic regression.

The problem I meet is that, is there any hypothesis for using logistic regression? I choose the family as binomial, the model result is what I would like to see, but I remember that binomial is for 0, 1(classified) problem, can I model the loss rate this way here? Do I need to do any hypothesis test?

Thanks for the kindly help.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Thanks

You do not seem to have a count model here with a transformed DV. As such, neither Poisson nor NegBin models are appropriate. Instead, if your DV is bounded between 0 and 1 check (A) beta regression, and (B) GLM fractional logit -- these would be appropriate for rates and proportions bounded within 0-1. Note though, one model is inclusive of min and max values, whereas the other one is not.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Well if you have counts and provide a denominator you can use Poisson for rates, AKA percentages. This is what I was referencing.

http://www.biostat.umn.edu/~dipankar...lecture_13.pdf
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

+ Reply to Thread