+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuggling with choosing the correct test.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24

Thanks

Stuggling with choosing the correct test.

So I am analyzing data for a student outside of my department. They are looking to see the differences in exam scores between two different methods of teaching (traditional and flipped classroom). They have a total of 6 different exams throughout the semester broken up into 6 respective modules. Modules 1,3,5 were taught using a traditional method of teaching and modules 2,4,6 were taught using a flipped classroom technique.

Originally I thought of using a 2x3 (teaching style X time) RM ANOVA to analyze differences in teaching styles, but then I realized this wouldn't make any sense because although time has three levels, the levels don't match up (i.e., time 1 for traditional is exam 1, but time 1 for flipped classroom would be exam 2. This wouldn't make sense considering you are comparing two different exams.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could do this? I was thinking about changing everything into a z score and just comparing the averages of test 2,4,6 against those of 1,3,5.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Re: Stuggling with choosing the correct test.

hi,
    you could vonsider the Mann-Whitney U. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann%E...Whitney_U_test

regards

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I am dealing with continuous and normal data though, so I guess my question is why a MWU over a parametric test?

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

So is this a cross-over study where student received both types of education?

Are the tests different at each time point or the same?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Yes, students completed modules 1,3,5 in the traditional classroom method and modules 2,4,6 in the flipped classroom method. They completed the modules in order 1-6 and each module had a test at the end, so the tests are different at each time point. Upon further thought, the z score thing wouldnt work considering the average z score would be 0 because all the students completed the same test under the same learning conditions.

I am wondering if I could just figure out the average grade for tests 1,3,5 (classic) and compare that to the average of tests 2,4,6 using a dependent samples t-test.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Is there interference (one module effects potential score during next module due to say knowledge acquisition) or contagion (person finds out score at the end of one module, which may effect their score during the next module, say even based on increased or decreased self-efficacy).
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

There isn't really any interference at all, as each module is covering a completely separate area of knowledge. There could be some contagion, but I would err on the side of caution and say that there was not a change to self efficacy.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22

Thanks

How do each of the 6 modules differ, exactly? Is there reason to believe that differences in exam scores between modules might be due to module difficulty in addition to the teaching method?

Thanks

Each module covers a different physiological system. I wouldn't really say module 1 is any harder than module 6, it just covers a different topic.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26

Thanks

There isn't generally any obstruction by any stretch of the imagination, as every module is covering a totally isolate range of learning. There could be some infection, however I would blunder in favor of alert and say that there was not a change to self adequacy.

+ Reply to Thread