+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparing fit of GLM to OLS regression

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 45

Thanks

Comparing fit of GLM to OLS regression

Hello talkstat.

First post in this magnificent forum!

In my master thesis I'm estimating health care expenses to patients, who has experienced a occupational injure on administrative data.

The depended variable is total health care expenses for a given individual a year after the injure.

Due to typical right skewness in the depended variable I have estimated two models; the first is GLM model using log-link function and a gamma distribution for the depended variable. The mean expenses are estimated to around DKK16,000 (approximately $2200) for the treatment group (people who has experienced a occupational injurie) and around DKK5,000 for the control group.
    As an alternative to the GLM model, I have also estimated the expenses using a OLS-regression with logarithm transformed depended variable. After using a Duan-smearing factor and "retransforming" the estimate, I obtain an estimate for the predicted expenses of DKK15,000 and DKK4,000 for the treated and the control group.

My question is; how can I compare for the fit of the models and choose the "best" one or at least the better one? Both with regard to a graphically and/or test.

Steinberg

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Thanks

Re: Comparing fit of GLM to OLS regression

There are several ways to explore the model fit. Easiest would be to compare the AIC and BIC -- smaller values indicate a "better" fit. Next, you can examine the R^2 -- higher values are desirable. Finally, you can predict the residuals and run a Q-Q plot to compare their distribution (you can top it with some formal test, say, Jarque-Bera and see which model's residuals have a smaller chi-square statistic). Additionally, I'd consider comparing the standard errors to see which model provides more efficient ones.

On a side note, have you checked if your models satisfy the required assumptions? I am asking because if, say, you have not met the OLS assumptions (at minimum: normality of residuals, lack of heteroskedasticity and multicollinearity) then what is the purpose of comparing its estimates with other estimators.

Thanks

Thanks Kinton!

I've check to make sure the assumptions of the OLS-regression holds. I does.

I'll will give you advice a go!

Thanks

Is the Jarque-Bera test valid, when I have specified a gamma-distribution for the dependend variable?

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

No. The Jarque-Bera test is a test of normality.
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

Thanks

All right.

So I'm left with AIC?

Yet, I can't just pick a model by only looking at the AIC, right? I mean using the "relative likelihood", the exponential of the mean value of the "distance" from the two "best" (i.e. lowest AIC) models, I get a really (I mean REALLY) low value.

What about the assumption of the variance being equal to the squared mean? When I calculate the squared mean of the expected value, I don't even get close to the variance. Is that an argument against the GLM-model?

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Thanks

I may be missing something here with the distributions' nuances, but let me elaborate on the following. So, I estimated two simple models using (A) Gaussian family and identity link (default), and (B) Gamma family and log-link -- while the estimated coefficients differ substantially, the residual distribution seems to be identical. The JB test results capture only a minor difference in the chi-squared statistic between the two. As such, is it not plausible to approximate the model fit of a GLM with gamma-log with its residual distribution?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiton View Post
    I may be missing something here with the distributions' nuances, but let me elaborate on the following. So, I estimated two simple models using (A) Gaussian family and identity link (default), and (B) Gamma family and log-link -- while the estimated coefficients differ substantially, the residual distribution seems to be identical. The JB test results capture only a minor difference in the chi-squared statistic between the two. As such, is it not plausible to approximate the model fit of a GLM with gamma-log with its residual distribution?
    But what I've not used a Gaussian regression, I've used an ordinary least squares regression. From what I understand the reason that there is no R-squared statistics for GLM is that it may be non-linear.

What about the assumption that the variance is equal to the predicted value squared? What if it does not hold?

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 37

Thanks

Shouldn't something be said about the suspicion that the fluctuation is equivalent to the anticipated quality squared? Imagine a scenario in which it doesn't hold.

+ Reply to Thread