+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need advice on Fisher's exact test

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34

Thanks

I need advice on Fisher's exact test

I recently submitted a paper and in my study, I wanted to see if there is an association between a gene mutation and the absence/presence of the expression of another gene in 14 cancer cell lines. I used the Fisher's exact test because to my knowledge, it's used for the relationship between two categorical variables but I was told by the reviewer that this test is not appropriate. I wonder if anyone could help me with this. Thank you.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: I need advice on Fisher's exact test

Well, fisher's test is used with 2 categorical variables like you mentioned. So what are we missing? Can you post their comment in its entirety, plus any more details about your variables.

So n= 14; variable 1 (gene present): yes/no; variable 2 (expression): yes/no.

Can you post your 2x2 table, so we can see your cell counts, etc.

Could their critique be related to the content not the appropriateness or that the test or complaints about the statistical power of the test?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    Well, fisher's test is used with 2 categorical variables like you mentioned. So what are we missing? Can you post their comment in its entirety, plus any more details about your variables.

So n= 14; variable 1 (gene present): yes/no; variable 2 (expression): yes/no.

Can you post your 2x2 table, so we can see your cell counts, etc.

Could their critique be related to the content not the appropriateness or that the test or complaints about the statistical power of the test?

'Authors claim that there is a significant association between NF2 status and CD44v protein expression based on the results of the literature study and the Fisher's exact test. I don't think Fisher's exact test can be used to determine the relationship between NF2 status and CD44v expression.'
    This is the comment from the reviewer.
    And my 2x2 table is

NF2 mutation Without NF2 mutation
    CD44v expression 9 1
    No CD44v expression 1 3

The number of cell lines without NF2 mutation is indeed too few. So in this case, is Fisher's exact test still valid?

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Hi,
    I believe this statement needs a lot of clarification as to why the reviewer THINKS the Fisher exact test is not applicable. It definitely can not be the small sample size.

"Although in practice it is employed when sample sizes are small, it is valid for all sample sizes. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher%27s_exact_test

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Thanks

I agree with rogojel. I believe that the reviewer should do a lot more than claiming that a test cannot be performed: (s)he should strongly motivate his/her claim.
    I would reply to the reviewer in a gentle way, giving solid bases (i.e., literature) to the use of that test for that particular ami, in that particular context.
    http://cainarchaeology.weebly.com/

+ Reply to Thread