+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This is a work question. Thanks!

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

This is a work question. Thanks!

I am trying to calculate the chances of the wrong number being put in a box. Lets say I have three boxes out of 25 on an assembly line. Each box will receive a number. There are multiple numbers coming down the assembly line. Each labeled 1-25.
    We were talking at work about the following scenario and I for the life of me can not rememebr how to calculate this.

Each box is to receive 150 numbers. I only have to grab the numbers for boxes one, two, and three. However the numbers for boxes 1 through 25 come through my part of the assembly line and they do not come through the assembly line in any specific order but randomly. My part of the job requires me to interact with all numbers going to boxes four through twenty five as well as one through three.

What is the statisitcal likelihood that I will accidently put the wrong number in a box?

Do I need more information to figure this out? If so let me know and how to proceed with the problem and I will try to solve it myself. Its been a little over 10 years since I have had to do this type of Math. Thanks for your help.

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

Re: This is a work question. Thanks!

You can't just "calculate" this. You could estimate it by gathering some data for a few days on how many wrong ones you put in a box and how many right ones you do. But without actual data the probability of accidentally putting the wrong number in a box could be anywhere from 0 to 1 - we just can't say.
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50

Thanks

Re: This is a work question. Thanks!

its almost impossible....

+ Reply to Thread