+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why experiment outcome is against universal endorsement-no blinding or subject error?

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44

Thanks

Why experiment outcome is against universal endorsement-no blinding or subject error?

Hi,

Thanks for attention!

Here's the question I am struggling with:

Medical researchers studying the effects of a low carb diet versus a normal diet randomly assigned obese patients to one of the two diets. The patients were followed up with after several months and the amount of weight lost (lbs) was recorded. Researchers advised against interpreting these results as a universal endorsement of low-carb diets for the general population wanting to lose weight. Why would the researchers give this advice? (Choose the most appropriate answer).

A. This is an observational study so we cannot establish that the low-carb diet causes weight loss.
    B. This experiment did not use blinding.
    C. This experiment only used obese subjects.

A is absolutely wrong since the researchers control over the study so that it's an experiment.
    C ,I think it's quite reasonable since the sample can just represent the obese population.
    For B, I've searched online and read that blinded, randomized experiments along with statistically significant association can allow a claim of causality. Therefore, it seems to be somewhat reasonable...?
    I am struggling with which one is more appropriate.
    Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by reree; 10-04-2016 at 12:40 AM.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Thanks

Re: Why experiment outcome is against universal endorsement-no blinding or subject er

B and C are both fairly legitimate criticisms of the study. But which of these criticisms specifically implies that the results don't necessarily apply to the general population of people trying to lose weight?
    Matt aka CB | twitter.com/matthewmatix

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CowboyBear For This Useful Post:

reree (10-04-2016)

+ Reply to Thread