+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which comparison of means test to use?

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Which comparison of means test to use?

I've got myself confused about which test to use. I have done a cross sectional survey exploring the difference between pain as measured with a Visual Analogue scale (VAS) and Discomfort as measured with a VAS. Participants completed the questionnaire and various other things once only.

I want to compare means between VAS pain and VAS discomfort scores (0-100 score range for each scale) I have 132 data sets. Within this context VAS pain data is considered as ratio (I know a hard line statistician would not do this) but VAS discomfort data has never been collected before so its properties are unknown.

I was considering the less than usual use of a paired sample T-test or a one sample t-test using the mean pain score of the sample as the population score and testing the discomfort scale against it to see if it was different, but neither seem to really quite fit.

Any comments or suggestions welcome. Its for an article in fairly decent medical journal so the choice will get scrutinised.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Which comparison of means test to use?

If they are both 0-100, I don't get why one is a ratio?

What are the distributions of the two scores (mean, median, std dev, IQR)? And a scatterplot and correlation wouldn't work for your needs?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

+ Reply to Thread