+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What kind of tests i can do to see if two diseases are related

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 11

Thanks

What kind of tests i can do to see if two diseases are related

I am using data from this website (data is at the bottom of the page) for a case-study. For the sake of question lets stick to any of FluWatch sheet say FluWatch-Alberta. I am coming up with a question of my own, i.e., if one disease has any relation with another one. What kind of statistical technique should I use here?

What i have thought so far
    • The data is nominal so correlation wouldn't work
    • Should I do some sort of cross classified observation? (I just read it somewhere not sure what it is)
    • Or I am on wrong track and I can just do correlation/regression to check if disease A is related with disease B

I understand that this data might not be enough but thats all i have. I would like to ignore any sort of seasonal variances and do some basic tests to see if two diseases are related. What can i do

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: What kind of tests i can do to see if two diseases are related

Can you provide a screenshot of data, to give us an idea. So these are time series data that you don't want to plot using time series? Do these data just have two incidence values or what are you working with, so that I don't have to chase links and open files.

Thanks.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    Can you provide a screenshot of data, to give us an idea. So these are time series data that you don't want to plot using time series? Do these data just have two incidence values or what are you working with, so that I don't have to chase links and open files.

Thanks.
    The data is already on the website that i shared but here is the screen shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pscpdmr5d1...42.58.jpg?dl=0
    Certain diseases have data during certain time of the year.

Omega Contributor
    Thanks

So you are looking at rates in suspected cases, correct? Test results are likely not in the same people, but are general counts, correct? If so, you can say they occur at the same period but who knows if they are actually related or if a person eventually tests positive at a later date.

What is the purpose of the problem - for class or fun?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    So you are looking at rates in suspected cases, correct? Test results are likely not in the same people, but are general counts, correct? If so, you can say they occur at the same period but who knows if they are actually related or if a person eventually tests positive at a later date.

What is the purpose of the problem - for class or fun?
    its a class case-study and I am trying to get into right direction. not that i am asking someone to solve the problem for me just guidance. Here is what i have done so far
    • I realized that the data isn't nominal. I read this https://statistics.laerd.com/statist...f-variable.php to come to this conclusion.
    • Now i am trying to study if FluPos (influenza) has any effect on RSV diseases. I did t-test which told me to reject my null hypothesis since my t-stat > t-crit (two tail).
    • Then i tried with hypothesis that influenze in general affects all respiratory diseases. I did Anova here and it came out that my F > F crit. So i have to reject null hypothesis here too

For above tests i did only +ve tests of Influenze with pos tests of other diseases. I even tried testinging for the time period where i have data FOR ALL DISEASES.

I am not sure if i am on right track or not. Now, I am thinking just to do simple correlation. I know i don't have much data but i want to do as much as i could with given data.

Update
    So i did the correlation between all diseases and i see those do correlate

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frg6llyjug...59.18.jpg?dl=0

and here is its chart

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h95e1k152x...00.13.jpg?dl=0

However, I do understand that the data we have can't be used to work on hypothesis if disease A causes disease B because i think that we don't have data that if patient X who got disease A is also got disease B after sometime. The data provides just the number which i believe isn't enough for us.
    Last edited by x509; 11-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Omega Contributor
    Thanks

Step one, describe the type of data you have, predictor (independent variable) and outcome (Y). Next define the study design. These two things will completely narrow down what type of analyses you can perform.

+ Reply to Thread