+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S1 Statistics question help! Majorly stuck

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34

Thanks

S1 Statistics question help! Majorly stuck

Hi I have 3 statistics questions that I would like help with,

1. When Albert eats in a certain restaurant, he always eats either chicken or beef for his main course. And he always eats either sponge pudding or ice cream for his dessert.
    The probability that he eats chicken is 1/3, the probability he eats ice cream given that he eats chicken is 2/5, and the probability that he eats ice cream given that he eats beef is 3/4.
    a) Find the probability that he eats either chicken or ice cream, but not both.
    b)Find the probability that he eats ice cream.
    c)Find the probability that he has eaten chicken, given that he is eating ice cream.

The answer I got for a) was 0.7 which i used a tree diagram
    for b) I got 0.5?? seems to high and for c) I got 4/15

2. A film club with 20 members meets once a week. 14 of the members go every week and 13 plan to renew their membership for another year. Of those planning to renew their membership, 10 go every week.
    a) Find the probability that the person selected plans to renew their membership and goes to the club every week.
    b) Find the probability that the person selected goes to the club every week, but doesn't plan to renew their membership.
    c) Show whether or not going to the club every week and renewing membership are independent.

This question I have no idea where to begin??

3. For a particular biased dice, the event 'roll a 6' is called event B, P(B)=0.2.
    This biased dice and fair, six sides dice are rolled together.
    a) Find the probability that the biased dice doesn't show a 6. (0.8)
    b) Find the probability that at least one of the dice shows a 6.
    c) Find the probability exactly one of the dice shows a 6, given that at least one of them shows a 6.

my answer for b) was 19/30 which seems way to high, I got this by doing 1 - p(B) - P(rolling a six on fair dice)
    and for c) I can't figure out how to find exactly one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am struggling hard with these questions and I don't feel any of the answers I have got for the ones I've attempted are correct.

Thank you very much!
    Mike
    Last edited by Mstainer18; 11-24-2016 at 03:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread