+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doing A Research Project and Confused on which Test I should use

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44

Thanks

Doing A Research Project and Confused on which Test I should use

I'm doing a research project on Anolis Carolinensis and Anolis Sagrei to determine if A. Carolinensis is being displaced by A. Sagrei. It sounds slightly confusing but it's really just counting green lizards (A.C.) and brown lizards (A.S.) and noting where they were when they were spotted. I came up with the data in the chart attached and I am trying to support the hypothesis below:

If A. carolinensis is being displaced by A. sagrei then a A. sagrei will be observed in greater numbers in common anole habitats because of its competitive advantage.

Which test (ANOVA, Chi Squared, or T-Test) would work best for this data and how should I calculate the data with said Test?

Also the data was recorded in two different locations and I'm not sure I should count those locations as separate variables.

Thanks so much in advance for the help, I really do need it.
    Attached Images  

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26

Thanks

Re: Doing A Research Project and Confused on which Test I should use

Hi Thomas. A quick glance shows that the data isn't normal so the t test and standard anova aren't suitable. It also looks as if the two areas are different, and you can test this by making up a species x location summary table and using the chi square test. AS predominates in Lafitte and AC in New Orleans, whatever the biological implications of that are. Each area can be tested separately for species difference using the Mann-Whitney test as it doesn't need normal data.
    Cheers. kat

+ Reply to Thread