+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is Experimental Design

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Thanks

What is Experimental Design

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've posted. Is there a concise description of what experimental design is in regards to statistics? I'm trying to make sense of a course description. Is it simply the way to conduct an experiment in order to gather data? Please elaborate.
    "I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this theorem which this margin is too narrow to contain." Pierre de Fermat

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: What is Experimental Design

Well, there has to be an experiment, AKA an intervention of some type. So you have observational studies, where you don't intervene just observe and you have experimental, where some type of intervention happened. Then you can have additional descriptors, say randomized experimental design.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

Buckeye (12-20-2016)

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Thanks

Thank you hlsmith. I have another question. Perhaps someone can interpret this quote by Ronald Fisher:

"To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a postmortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of."

Does this relate to experimental design?
    "I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this theorem which this margin is too narrow to contain." Pierre de Fermat

Omega Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

If you have ever done analyses for other people's projects this almost feels like a truism. You could partially equate this to randomization, but I think of it more as any bad study design or systematic error within a study.

Most times a very well designed and executed study may only require a simple statistical approach (say a t-test given treatment assignment effectively randomized). Though, if investigators did something wrong our forgot to control for a confounder, then more advanced approaches are needed. I actually jokingly say something like this when someone knocks on my door asking for help after they have conducted the study. These instance may require you to think outside the box and get creative in order to identify the causal mechanism.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

Buckeye (12-20-2016)

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Thank you hlsmith. I have another question. Perhaps someone can interpret this quote by Ronald Fisher:

"To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a postmortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of."

Does this relate to experimental design?
    In addition, I see under-powered studies due to inadequate sample sizes, restrictions on randomization, failure to block when appropriate, using a low resolution design with a lot of confounding/aliasing, botched runs and more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miner For This Useful Post:

Buckeye (12-20-2016)

TS Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Hi all, it's been awhile since I've posted. Is there a concise description of what experimental design is in regards to statistics? I'm trying to make sense of a course description. Is it simply the way to conduct an experiment in order to gather data? Please elaborate.
    Here is a clear, yet simple explanation of experimental design.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Miner For This Useful Post:

Buckeye (12-20-2016)

Fortran must die
    Thanks

Experimental design is how you set up the experiment in the first place, which in turn will set limits on how you can analyze the results. For example you chose whether to have random assignment or not. If you do many threats to validity will not exist, if you do not then you have to deal with those threats. Commonly it is not possible to have random assignment or even to sample randomly. So you create designs, or use existing ones to address the limitations that result as best you can. DOE also tells you what problems are created by different experimental designs (and what statistics are appropriate to use).

DOE has little to do per se with statistics. In fact you could do DOE without any quantitative methods at all - although you probably would not. The best known work on this is "Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Research" by Campbell and Stanley. Its not an easy read, there is little that is simple about DOE.

https://www.amazon.com/Experimental-.../dp/1111071861
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

12. The Following User Says Thank You to noetsi For This Useful Post:

Buckeye (12-20-2016)

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Hi,
    I would recommend "Statistics for Experimenters" by Box and Hunter. Not so heavy on theory as most and very practical.

regards

TS Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rogojel View Post
    Hi,
    I would recommend "Statistics for Experimenters" by Box and Hunter. Not so heavy on theory as most and very practical.

regards
    Excellent recommendation. It is written from an Industrial Statistics perspective, and may not address common practices in other disciplines. Also, industrial experiments tend to be less noisy and consequently easier to replicate and verify.

A second recommendation is Quality Improvement Through Planned Experimentation. If you can only choose one, go for Statistics for Experimenters.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miner For This Useful Post:

GretaGarbo (12-21-2016), rogojel (12-21-2016)

+ Reply to Thread