+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Statistical analysis

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36

Thanks

Statistical analysis

Hi all.

I am doing an experiment that looking at relationships between mental imagery and mental disorders, mental disorders and self-regulation and mental imagery in self regulation.

Would I be correct in saying that no other tests need to be performed on SPSS before looking at relationships? I have been told that I don't but would it not be a good idea to check distribution? Or am I forgetting to do something else?

Independent variable would be the questionnaires being used for measuring mental disorders

Dependent variable would be the scores relating to mental imagery and self-regulation
    Last edited by Armaghgeddon; 01-04-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,120 Posts

Re: Statistical analysis

How are your data explicitly formatted (continuous, categorical, or ordinal variables), we don't know this. What is your sample size? Was any intervention or exposure randomized? Do you have a study question/hypothesis?

Lastly, it is always a prudent idea to visual your data. This helps to understand the distribution and examine data quality.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36

Thanks

Re: Statistical analysis

Measures: There are 5 questionnaires/tasks that are answered as ordinal - based on likert scales (Spontaneous use of imagery scale, impact of future events scale, performance rating on a mental imagery task, Alexithymia questionnaire, P-GBI & State/Trait Anxiety questionnaire).

There are 2 measures that are continuous such as heart rate and respiratory

1 nominal questionnaire (Mood disorder questionnaire) with ordinal answers on two questions.

Sample: Looking at a sample of 30, tests are being done in a running order to minimize fatigue

Hypothesis: We are looking at the relationship between Mental imagery and MDQ scores (expecting it to be positive); Mental Imagery and Self-awareness (a relationship) and Bipolar and Self-awareness (inverse relationship).

+ Reply to Thread