+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What statistical test to use for species abundance between wet and dry season?

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 39

Thanks

Post What statistical test to use for species abundance between wet and dry season?

Sorry if this question is trivial,

I have a collection of camera trap data of recorded species during the rainy season and the dry season.

I am confused how to lay out a table to import to R, do I have species down the left (then counts of how many of that species) and columns of wet season and dry season?

Also, I am confused on what statistical test to use

I've read so many books and websites and every thing seems to be contradicting each other, please can anyone help!

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Thanks

Re: What statistical test to use for species abundance between wet and dry season?

hi,
    first you would need to define your research question - decinding on a test will follow.

regards

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Thanks

Re: What statistical test to use for species abundance between wet and dry season?

Just to complement rogojel's advice, my guess is that you are seeking to assess if there is a significant difference between rainy and dry season; put in another way, you may want to test if there is a "correlation" between species and season.
    I think that the first step would be building a cross-tabulation of species against season. Depending on the number of species you are studying, you would end up building a Rx2 table, where R is the number of species, 2 is the number of seasons.

Should this be the case, you may want to use something like Pearson's chi-square test.
    http://cainarchaeology.weebly.com/

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 39

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gianmarco View Post
    Just to complement rogojel's advice, my guess is that you are seeking to assess if there is a significant difference between rainy and dry season; put in another way, you may want to test if there is a "correlation" between species and season.
    I think that the first step would be building a cross-tabulation of species against season. Depending on the number of species you are studying, you would end up building a Rx2 table, where R is the number of species, 2 is the number of seasons.

Should this be the case, you may want to use something like Pearson's chi-square test.
    Hi, thanks for the reply, at the moment my data is laid out like this;

Species Wet Season Dry Season
    Jaguar 6 4
    Ocelot 3 2
    currassow 17 14
    etc...

I want to find out that if there is a significant difference between the abundance of all species in wet and dry seasons. I hope to find out that as the wet season is likely to be more profitable for both predators and prey so most of the species should be more abundant?

Would it still be using a test for two samples? e.g. wilcoxon or t-test.

thanks

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138

Thanks

Hi, you can investigate if your data are normally distributed (i.e., the data for "wet season" as well as for "dry season" separately, e.g. using a QQ-plot or a Shapiro-Wilk-Test). If tey are normally distributed you can use a T-test to asses your question. If not, you can use a Wilcoxon rank sum test.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmercker View Post
    Hi, you can investigate if your data are normally distributed (i.e., the data for "wet season" as well as for "dry season" separately, e.g. using a QQ-plot or a Shapiro-Wilk-Test). If tey are normally distributed you can use a T-test to asses your question. If not, you can use a Wilcoxon rank sum test.
    Or you can use a permutation t-test: see http://cainarchaeology.weebly.com/r-...on-t-test.html
    http://cainarchaeology.weebly.com/

+ Reply to Thread