+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Meta-analysis: How to calculate cohen's d using the range of scores and sample size

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 28

Thanks

Meta-analysis: How to calculate cohen's d using the range of scores and sample size

Hi there,
    I am trying to calculate cohen's d (standardised mean difference) for a study that only reports the range (min and max), and not the mean or standard deviation. I am wondering if it's possible to calculate cohen's d using the sample size and range? And if so, what formula will provide the best estimate of d?
    Thanks so much,
    Dee

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Meta-analysis: How to calculate cohen's d using the range of scores and sample si

Doesn't seem possible to me.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26

Thanks

Re: Meta-analysis: How to calculate cohen's d using the range of scores and sample si

Very roughly sd = (max - min)/4 and mean = (max + min)/2. This may be enough for a rough estimate of Cohen's d, as effect size is a fairly vague measure for a start.
    Perhaps this paper could help. Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample. Hozo et al
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1097734/

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Nice katxt. Haven't read the link yet but I would imagine some assumptions are needed. I wonder if a bunch of simulations could be of use here as well.

I would recommend the standard meta-analysis sensitivity analysis as well, where you run the MA with leave one study out until you have gone through the permutation of included studies.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 28

Thanks

Thanks so much for your feedback - the reference is incredibly helpful. I will make note to run the sensitivity analysis too.
    Thanks again,
    d

+ Reply to Thread