+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to combine more datasets

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 43

Thanks

How to combine more datasets

Hi everyone,
    I’m quite sorry for this very “beginner question” , but I’m stuck on it from several days.
    I got three experimental groups, four animals in each group and for each animals, I measure the length of 30 neurons. Obviously, I want to know if there is a difference between my three groups in term of neuronal length.
    But I don’t know how to handle my datasets:
    do I have to pull together the lengths from all the animals that belong to the same group or is better if I keep them separated? I have already checked the intra-group variability and I didn’t find any intragrups differences.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138

Thanks

Re: How to combine more datasets

Hi, your data are nested. Especially, neurons are nested within animal ID. Usually, lengths from the same animal are more similar compared to lengths between animals. If you want do include this design within a statistical test, you have to use a repeated-measures-ANOVA, where the group is the fixed effect predictor and the animal-ID is the random coefficient, because you have repeated measurements within each animal. An alternative to a rm-ANOVA is a linear mixed model. Also here, the group is the fixed effect predictor and the animal-ID the random coefficient.

Don't put all the data from one group together without including the animal-ID as a repeated measure, in this case you violate the assumption of independene and your p-values are biased

+ Reply to Thread