+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparing beta's of different regression analyses for significance

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44

Thanks

Comparing beta's of different regression analyses for significance

Hi all,

I have been struggling with this for a while now, so I really hope one of you can help me out:

I am trying to compare two different multiple regression analyses to see which association is stronger. I was looking at the beta coefficient to do this, but the problem is that this way I don't know if one association is significantly stronger.

To illustrate, the hypotheses I want to test are the following:

"I expect (1) psychopathy to be positively associated with both physical and social aggression, with a stronger association with physical than with social aggression
    (2) narcissism to be positively associated with both physical and social aggression, with a stronger association with social than with physical aggression.

So to test the relation between psychopathy and narcissism (the independent variables) and physical and social aggression (the dependent variables), I wanted to compute two multiple regression analyses. But then I don't know if they are significantly stronger.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or in my case maybe more importantly, how to formulate this correctly in a method section?

Many many thanks to the one that is able to help me!

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

Re: Comparing beta's of different regression analyses for significance

I am not sure what you want to know is stronger. The overall impact on the DV of all regressors (adjusted R square might work, but only if you use the same sample for the two regression equations otherwise its an invalid comparison I believe). Or do you want to know, within a given regression, which has the greatest impact? In that case this might help.

http://www.talkstats.com/showthread....egressors-on-Y.

If you know if a specific regressor had greater impact on one DV than another I think you have to use the same sample for both analysis although I could be wrong. I would think if you do use the same sample you could use the approach in the thread above.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 27

Thanks

Re: Comparing beta's of different regression analyses for significance

This looks as if it is an exactly parallel case. kat
    http://www.real-statistics.com/corre...ndent-samples/

+ Reply to Thread