+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Relative impact of an X on Y.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59

Thanks

Re: Relative impact of an X on Y.

Quote Originally Posted by rogojel View Post
    Do we have a clear definition of the importance of a variable, as different from effect size? I see the theoretical point - I just can't see myself (as a consultant) explaining that one variable is more "important" then the other even though one would use the first one for practical reasons.

E.g. in a chemical plant you might have the quantity of an additive and temperature as influencing factors. The model might give you that the additive is more "important" still you might want to use the reaction temperature to regulate the process.

regards
    I definitely think a practical definition of the distinction is important, but I'd leave that to the person who is defining importance for his or her purposes. "Importance" is one of those vague terms that needs a firm definition. I think you're absolutely right that it's usually about a practical reason and that effect size doesn't necessarily fit the definition of importance.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noetsi View Post

I notice that no one commented on using standardized slopes to compare (which some suggest to deal with the different metric issue between variables). Does this reflect a lack of respect for those approaches in this issue?
    I did raise the standardization argument in another thread (in the short time I've been a member of the forum). I haven't the time to look for it right now, but I did mention it at that time

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

I will look for it. Wacky things at work distracted me today [critical data we run analysis on turned out to be wrong and no one caught it either here or in other organizations who use it.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2