+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which statistical test?

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Which statistical test?

Hi everyone,

It's been a couple of years since I've taken a statistics class and I'm struggling to remember which test I should use. Essentially, what I'm trying to analyze is if new technology has decreased a trend of accidents and severity.

Thanks!
    Attached Images  

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Thanks

Re: Which statistical test?

A chi-square test would be appropriate.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruiselife View Post
    Hi everyone,

It's been a couple of years since I've taken a statistics class and I'm struggling to remember which test I should use. Essentially, what I'm trying to analyze is if new technology has decreased a trend of accidents and severity.

Thanks!
    Chi-square, but since the count in one of the cells is less than 5, Fisher Exact would be an appropriate one.

Thanks!

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bburugap View Post
    Chi-square, but since the count in one of the cells is less than 5, Fisher Exact would be an appropriate one.

Thanks!
    It's a small point, but typically, the observed cell count is not the focus. The assumption is with respect to the expected cell count being at least 5. The smallest expected count in this table is around 4.80, so strictly following the rule, a FET probably wouldn't hurt too much. OP should be careful, though, as the FET is frequently less powerful than the chi-square (if I recall, it's ameliorated by larger a larger sample size), and these differences don't appear to be too large. Looking at both a FET and chi-square would probably be useful. If they agree, you don't have to think as hard about it as in the case of the tests disagreeing (personally, I'd probably be more conservative and stick with FET if they disagree). If this is for a research project or something in the real world, the OP should definitely decide beforehand how disagreement between the tests will be handled.

+ Reply to Thread