+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sign differences in coefficients arising from using ordinal vs continuous data

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44

Thanks

Smile Sign differences in coefficients arising from using ordinal vs continuous data

I run a simple OLS regression: y=a +bx+.....+e,

I obtain an estimate of b<0.

Prior researchers running the a similar regression obtain an estimate of b>0: I'm trying to reconcile this difference.

The only methodological difference driving our results is the following:

In my study, both y and x are continous variables.

The prior researcher uses ranked data: y ={1,2,3,4,5} and x={1st,2nd,..... nth}.

My question is: can the difference in methodology explain the difference in estimates for b (sign change)? If so, how?

Many thanks to anybody who comments

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Sign differences in coefficients arising from using ordinal vs continuous data

Please better describe what was done in the past (e.g., rank?). Also, were samples comparable and models contained the same covariates? Lastly, are you finding a significant negative coefficient and they all had a positive significant coefficient. Are there any other model parameters available? Are sample sizes comparable.

Finally, given everything is comparable, it could also be an example of replicability or researcher degree of freedom.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

+ Reply to Thread