+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Normality

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17

Thanks

Normality

I did a test of normality in STATA on my dependent variable. The rest was significant thus violations of normality. After taking the log, there is still violation of normality. What is the next step to take?

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Normality

Why are you trying to normalize the variable?

Can you post a histogram and qq-plot of your data?

Large dataset will typically fail normality test when there is very small departures. What is your sample size. Also, feel free to upload the normality test results.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    Why are you trying to normalize the variable?

Can you post a histogram and qq-plot of your data?

Large dataset will typically fail normality test when there is very small departures. What is your sample size. Also, feel free to upload the normality test results.
    Very good questions to raise. Also, what is the dependent variable including the units of measure? A log transformation might not be the most appropriate transformation.

Human
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz3 View Post
    I did a test of normality in STATA on my dependent variable. The rest was significant thus violations of normality. After taking the log, there is still violation of normality. What is the next step to take?
    The next step is to check normality of the residuals, (i.e. the dependent variable given the explanatory variables). The distribution of the dependent variable is irrelevant.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GretaGarbo For This Useful Post:

CowboyBear (04-26-2017), ondansetron (04-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GretaGarbo View Post
    The next step is to check normality of the residuals, (i.e. the dependent variable given the explanatory variables). The distribution of the dependent variable is irrelevant.
    Good catch, I didn't think to make sure the OP was doing that since I kind of assumed that's what had been done :O

Thanks

The more I post in this forum the more I learn (THANKS) and the more I realize I don't know anything (CRIES)

I'm on my way out, but I will definitely go over everything

Thanks

My dependent variable is on a scale from 0 to 100 (percentage), but I took the log (seemed logical at the time)

My main drivers are also on a scale from 0 to 100, but I had to transform them so I only (keep) have values of fifty and higher

Then I have some economic control variables (GDP) and nominal dummy control variable 1/0

I also checked for outliers. Ive attached the kdensity(histogram?)/qqplot and the other tests I used for normality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stem r.JPG‎
Views:	8
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	6576   Click image for larger version

Name:	qnorm.JPG‎
Views:	7
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6577   Click image for larger version

Name:	kdensity.JPG‎
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	6578   Click image for larger version

Name:	iqr.JPG‎
Views:	8
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	6579  

Human
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Thanks

That seems to be OK. And with the large sample size the parameter estimates will be approx normal by the central limit anyway, so it is OK to go ahead with the inference based on normal theory. (In my view - but we can all be wrong.)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GretaGarbo For This Useful Post:

Jazz3 (04-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GretaGarbo View Post
    That seems to be OK. And with the large sample size the parameter estimates will be approx normal by the central limit anyway, so it is OK to go ahead with the inference based on normal theory. (In my view - but we can all be wrong.)
    I agree with you that the departure from normality doesn't appear to be large enough to cause an appreciable issue, especially at that sample size.

Would you be able to show us a histogram and normal probability plot of your untransformed residuals?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ondansetron For This Useful Post:

Jazz3 (04-23-2017)

Thanks

The untransformed dependent variable

Name:	kdensity2.JPG‎
Views:	3
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	6580   Click image for larger version

Name:	qnorm2.JPG‎
Views:	4
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	6581   Click image for larger version

Name:	stemb2.jpg‎
Views:	4
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	6582   Click image for larger version

Name:	iqr2.JPG‎
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	6583  

Thanks

Doing the test for the untransformed and transformed variable both were significant

Name:	swilk.JPG‎
Views:	6
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	6584   Click image for larger version

Name:	swilk2.JPG‎
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	6585  

Thanks

Doing the test for the untransformed and transformed variable both were significant
    Formal tests for normality aren't really a great idea for several reasons. In particular, they're often very sensitive to slight departures from normality, with this problem magnifying as you increase the sample size. I would personally not even run a formal test of normality and just rely on the histogram/stem-leaf/normal probability plot approach. If you check your standardized residuals and investigate the suspect outliers (absolute standardized value between 2 and 3) and the outliers (absolute standardized value great than 3) as well as other regression diagnostics (influential observations) I think you'll be better off than using anything than the formal normality tests. Especially since regression methods are able to perform pretty well in the presence of outliers and moderate non-normality.

The difference between your transformed and untransformed plots doesn't look to be too big. I would see how much the conclusions vary between the two models. Did you happen to look into the constant variance assumption using a plot of residuals vs predicted y values in the transformed and untransformed models? I think the homoscedasticity assumption is more important than the normality issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ondansetron View Post
    Formal tests for normality aren't really a great idea for several reasons. In particular, they're often very sensitive to slight departures from normality, with this problem magnifying as you increase the sample size. I would personally not even run a formal test of normality and just rely on the histogram/stem-leaf/normal probability plot approach. If you check your standardized residuals and investigate the suspect outliers (absolute standardized value between 2 and 3) and the outliers (absolute standardized value great than 3) as well as other regression diagnostics (influential observations) I think you'll be better off than using anything than the formal normality tests. Especially since regression methods are able to perform pretty well in the presence of outliers and moderate non-normality.

The difference between your transformed and untransformed plots doesn't look to be too big. I would see how much the conclusions vary between the two models. Did you happen to look into the constant variance assumption using a plot of residuals vs predicted y values in the transformed and untransformed models? I think the homoscedasticity assumption is more important than the normality issue.
    Ohh I see. Good to know!

I didnt check for homoscedasticity using plots, I used the BrueschPagan test in both cases there was heteroscedasticity, so I run the regression on robust error terms

But I've attached the plots

Name:	rvplotUNtrans.JPG‎
Views:	13
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	6586   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvplotTrans.JPG‎
Views:	6
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	6587  

Thanks

Ohh I see. Good to know!

I didnt check for homoscedasticity using plots, I used the BrueschPagan test in both cases there was heteroscedasticity, so I run the regression on robust error terms

But I've attached the plots
    Understood that you used BP and then robust SEs. As you can see with the plot, the vertical spread of the residuals is not approximately constant which indicates the errors might not have constant variance (as you already saw using the BP). Are you using and categorical variables? If so, it would probably be helpful for you to plot the residuals using the categorical variable as a grouping variable (should give you the same plots, but it will use a different symbol or color on the plot to represent each group). This way you can get an idea of why the heteroscedasticity is occurring (i.e. is it that each group has the same pattern or that the groups just have different variances from one another).

Thanks

Thanks I will do that, but how do I get different symbols or colors?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast