+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which method shall I use?

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26

Thanks

Which method shall I use?

Dear All,

first of all I would like to thank you for creating and running this forum. At least there is a place where desperado like me can ask for a help

I'm in the process of writing my thesis and desperately need an advice about what analysis shall I use

I'm conducting a study of the expatriates' spouses' relocation adjustment process. The main research question is: what is the effect of organizational support on spouse adjustment process?

The thing is that both variables (organizational support and spouse adjustment) include several categories.

Organizational support can be provided by a company at the different stages of the expatriation life cycle: pre-stage (before moving), early-stage (first 12 month and late-stage (12-24 month). Also there are different types of organizational support: instrumental, emotional, information.

Adjustment process is linked with the expatriation life cycle and has the phases mentioned before: pre-stage (before moving), early-stage (first 12 month and late-stage (12-24 month). Also there are different types of adjustment: environmental, interactional, personal, cultural, role.

I've put all categories in the table in order to make it more visually clear (please find attached).

Now I'm thinking how to trace the correlations between all this and to accomplish the research objective. What kind of analysis would you recommend to use?

Thank you in advance for your help and recommendations
    Attached Files

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36

Thanks

Re: Which method shall I use?

I would suggest a Hierarchical Linear Model (aka multilevel model/mixed effects model/etc), with each subject as the nesting variable, the adjustment as the outcome variable and the various types of support as the independent variable.

For an intro to HLM, you can refer to Andy Field's texts under multilevel modeling.

However, you might want to conduct an exploratoy factor analysis first to check the factor structure and loadings before creating subscales.

All the best!

+ Reply to Thread