+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing the righ test

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21

Thanks

Question Choosing the righ test

Hello,

I'm a psychology student and I'm really, really bad at SPSS so I need some help. If this is not the right place to post this, please redirect me and if so, I apologise.
    So in my research I study the relation between irrational beliefs (from Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy) and trait anxiety. If it's relevant for you, I used Attitudes and Beliefs Scale II, ABS II (DiGiuseppe, Leaf, Exner, & Robin, 1988) and State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, STAI X2 version, only for trait (Spielberger, Gorsuch, Lushene, Vagg, & Jacobs, 1983), both adapted for my country. I'm trying to focus on evidence-based psychology here.

The problem is that I don't know exactly what to use and this is where I'm confused beacause I introduced the following:
    high school students vs university students with variables: age, gender, the institution (high school or college and their names) and the educational profile (e.g.: for high school students with science profile and with humanities profile / students: psychology, law, etc, etc).
    I know something about the Independent Samples t Test. Should I use that with Pearson correlation, Univariate analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Regression analyses?
    I want to keep it simple. Is there a specific group of test that I can use? What ca I choose from those witch I listed above? Or I'm totally wrong and I shoul search for other tests?
    I'm excited about research but I struggle with statistics...

Thank you in anticipation for your attention.
    Sincerely,
    Dan

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: Choosing the righ test

Are you asking which test to use or how to find this test in SPSS. Those are very different questions

What is your hypothesis and how is you dependent variable done, is it interval or categorical?

There are many ways to do most analysis, they trade off greater accuracy for greater complexity. A good starting point is what has been done before in this areas, what test or method they used. If nothing else you will be ask to explain why you chose what you did as a method.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Thanks

Hi,
    Thank you for your quick answer.

I'm asking whitch tests to use. I don't know what specific statistical procedures to apply to my research.
    I understand what you are saying with what has been done before but this specific area, only with trait-anxiety, is not covered or is not public. The papers with related subjects don't explain the method in terms of what tests they used, but only the results (what I found, ofc).

The title is something like this ,,Study on the relationship of irrational beliefs and trait anxiety in high school students and university students".
    The research is about the implications of irrational beliefs (IB) in trait anxiety, assuming that IB influences the anxiety mediated by gender, age and educational profile. So I want to see if I can find any differences between high school students and university students relating to irrational beliefs and their relation with trait anxiety.
    Is this making sense in english? Maybe I can't translate correctly and I'm sorry for wasting you time, haha.

Your help is highly appreciated,
    Dan

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Its really remarkable they do not discuss the methods, that is the norm in any literature I have seen.

What you say makes sense in English I need to know how the dependent variable (trait anxiety I think) is measured. Is it categorical, (like say high, low) or interval. The later is for example the temperature or weight which are interval variables. My guess is that like many psychological measures it is likert scale, say a five point scale.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

5. The Following User Says Thank You to noetsi For This Useful Post:

DanC (05-18-2017)

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    The title is something like this ,,Study on the relationship of irrational beliefs and trait anxiety in high school students and university students".
    The research is about the implications of irrational beliefs (IB) in trait anxiety, assuming that IB influences the anxiety mediated by gender, age and educational profile.
    I don't think this is really what you're after - taken literally, your statement above implies that you think that irrational beliefs affect a person's gender, age, and education level, which in turn affect their anxiety level. (This is what mediate means). It probably isn't the case that developing irrational beliefs will change someone's age

I think that you might actually mean moderate: I.e., do are you interested in how the size of the relationship between irrational beliefs and anxiety differs depending on someone's age, gender, and education level? (If so, this seems like a lot of potential moderators to be considered).
    Matt aka CB | twitter.com/matthewmatix

Thanks

Hi,
    I appreciate you support.

Trait anxiety as dependent variable was measured with a 20 item inventory Likert scale 1 - 4 (Almost never, Sometimes, Often, Almost Always).
    This is the original scale in english http://www.midus.wisc.edu/midus2/pro...ry_general.pdf
    The irrational beliefs questionnaire was also on Likert scale now with 1 - 5 (Strongly against, ....., Strongly agree).

Thanks

Hi CowboyBear,
    Thanks you for your answer.

Yes, that is what i'm after. How the relationship between irrational beliefs and trait anxiety (witch is relatively stable) differs depending on someone's educational status (high school or university and their profile types), age and gender. The problem is that I don't know what test to choose. I'm familiar with the T-Test Analyses but I don't think if it's enough because I have all those variables and I don't know if should I perform some Regression Analysis, ANOVA, Pearson correlation... Maybe some of them, maybe only one? Maybe I have better options that I don't know of? Or I don't understant statistics at all and I'm wrong.

Have a good day,
    Dan

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Thanks

That sounds like quite a complicated research question. In effect you would be estimating:

Main effect of irrational beliefs on trait anxiety
    Main effect of educational status
    Main effect of age
    Main effect of gender
    Interaction between irrational beliefs and educational status
    Interaction between irrational beliefs and age
    Interaction between irrational beliefs and gender

...And that's setting aside any higher-order interactions. (E.g., does the difference in the effect of irrational anxiety between men and women differ depending on age?)

Unless you have a huge sample size (?), looking at all those effects is likely to become an exercise in noise-mining. Maybe selecting just one moderator of interest would be a good idea.

Multiple regression seems like a sensible method here by the way.
    Matt aka CB | twitter.com/matthewmatix

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CowboyBear For This Useful Post:

DanC (05-18-2017)

+ Reply to Thread