+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selecting test - please help

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Selecting test - please help

Hi everybody,

I am a master student doing my first quantitative analysis.

I want to analyze if there is a relationship between a gender quota law or more specifically gender balance/imbalance on boards of directors and gender stereotypes about what it takes to be a successful board director. For those of you familiar with Schein's "Think manager - think male" theory - this is what I will try to do on the board level.

My dependent variable is: gender stereotypes about leadership (I ask the respondents to rate how much they agree that a list of 15 leadership traits is characteristic for female board directors, male board directors and successful board directors in general)
    Independent variables are gender balance (ratios 50-50 or 40-60) and gender imbalance (less than 40% women) regarding board composition.

The survey is sent to Norwegian companies subjected to the quota law (at least 40% women) and companies not subjected to the quota as a control group (only those with at least 1 woman) - so this is a cross-sectional study

My hypothesis is that stereotypes are stronger in non-quota companies.

Besides, I also ask about the gender, age, board experience, educational level and background - because these could cause variances. I also ask about the share of women when respondents are from non-quota companies where I am only interested in keeping the answers of those where there is gender imbalance (less than 40% women).

The thing is, I need to know how men and women rate the traits of a successful board director and then compare it with how they rate female and male board directors. Then I need to test whether age, experience, and education cause any variance in the outcome. I guess that I have to do that for both cases (quota and non-quota companies) and then compare those as well.

What tests would you recommend?

I thank you in advance for any help and sorry if my questions are too basic. I am just a bit lost here. The more I read, the more confused I get.
    Last edited by rmbrito; 06-07-2017 at 05:03 AM.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Thanks

Re: Selecting test - please help

If your dependent variable can be considered as interval scaled, then a
    multiple linear regression analysis, or a multilevel analysis (accounting for
    clustering of respondents from the same boards, if that happened) could
    be options.

With kind regards

K.
    »Jetzt kann mich der Führer mal am Arsch lecken.« (Ernst Kuzorra, 1941)

+ Reply to Thread