+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cyber / network attack

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38

Thanks

cyber / network attack

I have read some common signs of cyber/network attack from this site: http://www.networkworld.com/article/...r-network.html.
    But I wanted to know other uncommon signs of website security vulnerabilities and some immediate solutions to prevent them from causing serious damage. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypad For This Useful Post:

Sensible24 (07-10-2017)

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,153 Posts

Re: cyber / network attack

How about suspecting posts where bots nonchalantly ask you what your weaknesses may be!
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

ondansetron (07-07-2017), Sensible24 (07-10-2017)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59

Thanks

Hmmm ... interesting discussion lilypad and hlsmith.

I like shopping online. How do I know if an email I am getting is from the actual store I am shopping from or from some suspicious site? For example, I shopped at walmart the other day. Then, I got an email "about my order" but when I clicked on the link, it directed me to a different site. I got so scared, I shot down my PC right away. So, without opening the mail, is there a way for me to tell if it is suspicious or not?

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,153 Posts

Do you have an online account with Walmart? If so, ignore the email and monitor your purchase via the validated url for the company. Not techy enough to have a better solution.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Pirate
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sensible24 View Post
    Hmmm ... interesting discussion lilypad and hlsmith.

I like shopping online. How do I know if an email I am getting is from the actual store I am shopping from or from some suspicious site? For example, I shopped at walmart the other day. Then, I got an email "about my order" but when I clicked on the link, it directed me to a different site. I got so scared, I shot down my PC right away. So, without opening the mail, is there a way for me to tell if it is suspicious or not?
    Yes of course there is: The best way is to copy the link address (right-click over the link and hit copy), and then go to this AWESOME security website (https://www.virustotal.com/). On the website, you will see 3 tabs named "Files /URL / Search". Choose the URL tab, and paste the copied link address into the "Enter the URL" box. Then hit the "SCAN IT" button on the website. Now, VirusTotal will scan the entire URL content (which can contain viruses) via ALL existing antivituses, and then searches the address itself against the databases of ALL antimalware and anti hack programs and services. Finally, it reports a full description of the URL.

In many cases, the same URL is scanned before. In this case, the website gives the last result but offers you a ReScan opportunity (this is because many viruses are not first detected by antiviruses, but later they catch up). So I always choose ReScan.

You can use this AWESOME website also for scanning any suspicsious files. It does not scan it only with 1 antivitus. It will feed the file to ALL existing antiviruses and will give you a very reliable report.

And there are many more advanced advantages to this website as well.

--------------

2. Never click any email link or any email IMAGE, unless you hover the mouse over it, and read the address carefully, and ensure the address at least looks genuine.

----------------

3. Your computer seems to be pretty messed up with lots of malwares, if you click links easily. Have it fully scanned before using it for further sensitive tasks.
    "victor is the reviewer from hell" -Jake
    "victor is a machine! a publication machine!" -Vinux

8. The Following User Says Thank You to victorxstc For This Useful Post:

GretaGarbo (07-11-2017)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by victorxstc View Post
    Yes of course there is: The best way is to copy the link address (right-click over the link and hit copy), and then go to this AWESOME security website (https://www.virustotal.com/). On the website, you will see 3 tabs named "Files /URL / Search". Choose the URL tab, and paste the copied link address into the "Enter the URL" box. Then hit the "SCAN IT" button on the website. Now, VirusTotal will scan the entire URL content (which can contain viruses) via ALL existing antivituses, and then searches the address itself against the databases of ALL antimalware and anti hack programs and services. Finally, it reports a full description of the URL.

In many cases, the same URL is scanned before. In this case, the website gives the last result but offers you a ReScan opportunity (this is because many viruses are not first detected by antiviruses, but later they catch up). So I always choose ReScan.

You can use this AWESOME website also for scanning any suspicsious files. It does not scan it only with 1 antivitus. It will feed the file to ALL existing antiviruses and will give you a very reliable report.

And there are many more advanced advantages to this website as well.

--------------

2. Never click any email link or any email IMAGE, unless you hover the mouse over it, and read the address carefully, and ensure the address at least looks genuine.

----------------

3. Your computer seems to be pretty messed up with lots of malwares, if you click links easily. Have it fully scanned before using it for further sensitive tasks.
    Thanks for the information you have shared. I really appreciate it! I did not realize that there is a website that can scan URL's.

And I think this is the one that I need. Fortunately, I have been receiving links from my email like this link https://www.beyondtrust.com/ Mostly, I do not click click any even I received them from my friends. With the Scanner you sent I would be able to check every link if it is clean or not. Thanks Again!
    Last edited by lilypad; 07-27-2017 at 01:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread