+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cronbachs Alpha- Quick question, urgent help needed

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 45

Thanks

Exclamation Cronbachs Alpha- Quick question, urgent help needed

Hi guys, hope you are all doing fine.
    I have an exam on monday and need to know how to calculate Cronbach's alpha.
    I know that you have to use the spearman brown formula when you shorten your scale. I can't quite figure out what to do when the scale gets longer.
    Here is the example question I struggle with:

Imagine Cronbach's alpha for research A was 0.7. Which value for Cronbach's alpha can we expect when we extend the scale with 10 parallel items (the final scale has 15 items).
    The expected value will be:
    a) 0.44
    b) 0.82
    c) 0.88
    d) 0.97

Does anybody know the formula I have to use in this case and how to calculate this ?

Thanks for helping!!

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Thanks

Re: Cronbachs Alpha- Quick question, urgent help needed

Quote Originally Posted by AGK View Post
    Hi guys, hope you are all doing fine.
    I have an exam on monday and need to know how to calculate Cronbach's alpha.
    I know that you have to use the spearman brown formula when you shorten your scale. I can't quite figure out what to do when the scale gets longer.
    Here is the example question I struggle with:

Imagine Cronbach's alpha for research A was 0.7. Which value for Cronbach's alpha can we expect when we extend the scale with 10 parallel items (the final scale has 15 items).
    The expected value will be:
    a) 0.44
    b) 0.82
    c) 0.88
    d) 0.97

Does anybody know the formula I have to use in this case and how to calculate this ?

Thanks for helping!!
    The Spearman-Brown fomula works whether you're looking to increase or decrease the length of a scale, so you can use it to answer your question. It just depends on which constant you use to denote by which factor your tests are increasing or decreasing.
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

+ Reply to Thread