+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: proc SQL

Probably A Mammal
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Thanks

Re: proc SQL

Quote Originally Posted by Dason View Post
    SAS's documentation is actually pretty good and it explains how each type is calculated.
    Now I know you're FN joking!
    You should definitely use jQuery. It's really great and does all things.

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

My understanding is that different software calculated medians in ways that leads to different answers (for example excel and SAS).

Our median function just sorts the data and picks the middle value (I forget how it works when there are an even number of values).

Until two months ago we had MS Server 2008. I will have to try the new function since we moved to 2014 (I had hoped we would move to 2016 to get R, but we have a policy against getting a product less than a year old because of possible bugs).

Its an IT policy not mine...
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Probably A Mammal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
    My understanding is that different software calculated medians in ways that leads to different answers (for example excel and SAS).

Our median function just sorts the data and picks the middle value (I forget how it works when there are an even number of values).

Until two months ago we had MS Server 2008. I will have to try the new function since we moved to 2014 (I had hoped we would move to 2016 to get R, but we have a policy against getting a product less than a year old because of possible bugs).

Its an IT policy not mine...
    Then ask for a sandboxed environment that you can develop in SQL Server 2016. It's stupid to move the latest software to production in a business until it has been vetted. It's an easy (lame) policy to just wait for a later rollout as if that solves all the problems. That only solves it for the software, it doesn't mean it is any better suited to drop into your own environment. That will always require testing, which is why sandboxes work well. Spin up something not intended to be used for production, show value in it, show it works in the current environment, maybe do that for the year to meet their minimal policy requirements, and then you can already have something cooked and ready to go when it gets migrated to production (where they'll give full backups, QA/Dev environments, etc.). That's my goal with 2016. I'll get a sandbox setup to explore how to use it for supporting enterprise wide predictive analytics, along with other potential toolchains. If we want to adopt it fully, then I'll have something to show management and the DBAs that we should stand up a full environment for it.

Fortran must die
    Thanks

We change servers about every 5 years or so. And IT is not interested in non-IT being involved in IT decisions.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Probably A Mammal
    Thanks

We change servers about every 5 years or so. And IT is not interested in non-IT being involved in IT decisions.
    Some things are squarely in the IT domain, but considering IT is a service to the business so the business can do what it needs to do to be successful (and pay IT bills), the business very much has a say in IT decisions. Are they needed to decide on what sort of cabling to use in network infrastructure? No, but the motivation for faster throughput is a business need. That's how you couch requirements to project managers to take them on during change processes. Unless you just work in a dysfunctional environment, this is common practice.

FYI, I got my SQL Server 2016 database, and didn't really ask for it. I was going to do it as a sandbox elsewhere, but they spun up our database and bam, it's 2016. Already having fun trying some new features.

Fortran must die
    Thanks

I work in a dysfunctional environment. Its about power and empire building. IT does not exist here to serve the customer. They exist to own the data and fairly straightforward issues like running queries are intensely political issues. I got chewed out royally by my boss two weeks ago for admitting to IT I was unsure about a specific query (although this was true) because IT would use it as a wedge to take over part of our unit with senior leadership. IT owns the data, including knowing how to join the tables, and getting that information is a very painful process.

We can not even talk to the individual programmers (who build the data tables). We have to send formal requests through several layers of management.

Probably A Mammal
    Thanks

I work in a dysfunctional environment. Its about power and empire building. IT does not exist here to serve the customer. They exist to own the data and fairly straightforward issues like running queries are intensely political issues. I got chewed out royally by my boss two weeks ago for admitting to IT I was unsure about a specific query (although this was true) because IT would use it as a wedge to take over part of our unit with senior leadership. IT owns the data, including knowing how to join the tables, and getting that information is a very painful process.

We can not even talk to the individual programmers (who build the data tables). We have to send formal requests through several layers of management.
    That's when you tell your boss to kiss your ***. Be a trouble maker. Make waves. Rattle cages. That's how you make changes! Of course, I enjoy being that guy

Fortran must die
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryangoodrich View Post
    That's when you tell your boss to kiss your ***. Be a trouble maker. Make waves. Rattle cages. That's how you make changes! Of course, I enjoy being that guy
    You are younger, likely have more savings, and are far more useful to your employer than I am. I can't afford to get fired.

Probably A Mammal
    Thanks

You are younger, likely have more savings, and are far more useful to your employer than I am. I can't afford to get fired.
    You need more confidence in yourself. Go apply to other, better jobs. If you land one, bam. You're in a better position. If not, you lose very little.

Fortran must die
    Thanks

lol. I would like to have a job where I actually get to analyze data, as compared to querying more. But those jobs are pretty rare outside academics.

Omega Contributor
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 1,119 Posts

Yeah, I am surprised how much you all use SQL, etc. Data steps are always a weaker point for me, but I get to delve into analytics and write. The down fall is that it can be disheartening going through the publishing process sometimes and trying to care about repeatability.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Probably A Mammal
    Thanks

lol. I would like to have a job where I actually get to analyze data, as compared to querying more. But those jobs are pretty rare outside academics.
    There's plenty of jobs wanting people to analyze data, but the reality is that will always be a small part of the work load. A common number is that 80% of an analysts work is data munging, which is true more or less. Rarely does data come well defined and integrated that you can just take it as-is into an analysis. Even if I have pristine data and want to do a graph analysis, unless it's already loaded into a graph database, I still have to rearrange the data to be used for a graph analysis. That takes work outside of just analyzing data. Then even if you analyze data, you're probably gonna spend just as much time presenting it to show its value, make it useful. And that's really how you find those jobs. You're selling yourself as the person able to take their business questions, identify what decisions they need to make, and you'll give them the informational tools to make better decisions, to get data-driven answers. Couched in that way, every company needs analysts.

Omega Contributor
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 1,119 Posts

Yes, it is difficult making data and results digestible for the users.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Fortran must die
    Thanks

I always spend most of my time "analyzing" data by doing queries and cleaning it up to analyze as discussed above. I expect that. What I meant is that I get asked to do analysis maybe 4 times a year period (as defined above). The rest of the time I am just pulling data for others to use.

Probably A Mammal
    Thanks

You could always ask the people requesting data if they need more than just the data. Put on your business analyst hat, ask them why they need it, what are they trying to solve, drill down to the crux of their problem. Then show them the right analytical solution. Sell it. Then they'll want you to do the analysis for them, unless they think they can just do it better. Rarely have I seen anybody say "no thanks, I don't need more information" unless they're on a tight timeline and just need the data to report B, S, F, and U. That's if you want to go out there and find more interesting work to do. I've spent 5 years doing it. Unfortunately, my old manager drove that train, and it sucked most of the time. Now I can go out and find interesting problems to solve at a larger scale (finally!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast