+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Publication

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25

Thanks

Publication

Hey Im doing a PhD where I am currently working on my first article. My article is based on some theory that my advisor and his collaborator has developed in a working paper but have not yet published. However he tells me that I cannot publish until after he and his collaborators have published their working paper in some journal. At first I did not give this much thought but now I am starting to think it is a bit annoying. Is this normal procedure for PhD students?

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Publication

Probably not too uncommon it the original content was their brainchild. The publishing process as take quite awhile some times given the content, journal, and reviewing process.

You should have them inform you of when the article has been accepted by the journal, then you can move forward, which may be before it is printed.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

jesper2017 (08-05-2017)

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 70

Thanks

Re: Publication

I think it's also important for their work to be published and recognized so you can cite it as a credible reference. I think you should keep drafting it and working on another meaningful project until you have the go ahead to submit yours for publication.

I imagine your work has come as a result of your advisor's work, so it's a little hard to complain if they put a good foundation forward for you to utilize.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ondansetron For This Useful Post:

hlsmith (08-04-2017), jesper2017 (08-05-2017)

+ Reply to Thread