+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I use chi squared to test these observed vs expected ratios?

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Should I use chi squared to test these observed vs expected ratios?

I'm doing a study about the height:radius ratios of limpets on exposed and sheltered shores (The ratio is calculated by dividing height by radius). There is a theoretical 'optimum' ratio which is 1.06. I have 2 samples: 219 limpets from an exposed shore and 299 limpets from a sheltered shore. I calculated the height:radius ratio of all the limpets sampled.
    I want to statistically test if my observed ratios of the limpets are significantly different to the expected ratios of 1.06. I want to do this for the sheltered samples and then exposed samples separately to see if they have different results.

Here are my first 5 data for sheltered limpets...

observed ratios:

expected ratios:

Should I use chi squared goodness of fit test? I'm not sure because I thought the variables had to be categorical in order to do a chi sqaured test, but isn't ratio a continuous variable? would it be better to use a Mann Whitney U test? I have to use a non-parametric test because the data are not normally distributed. Any help is appreciated, thanks x
    Last edited by Little.fish; 09-22-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26

Thanks

Re: Should I use chi squared to test these observed vs expected ratios?

You are right. Chi square only works with count data. Your data is calculated, not counts. You need to do a one sample test against the value 1.06.
    There are non parametric one sample tests such as the Wilcoxon signed-rank test, but you might find that there is a transformation which will make your data normal. In any event, with such large samples, a one sample t test will give reasonable results.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Thanks

Re: Should I use chi squared to test these observed vs expected ratios?

Twi quick remarks to what katxt was telling you:
    1. in case of a nonparametric test you will get results concerning the nedian, not the mean.
    2. If you transform the data remember to transform the threshold as well (the 1.06)

regards

+ Reply to Thread