+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Friedman post hoc Conover - 2 formulas?

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75

Thanks

Question Friedman post hoc Conover - 2 formulas?

I'm trying to figure out the post-hoc procedure from Conover for a Friedman test. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the original book 'Practical Nonparametric Statistics' and it seems a bit expensive. So I've been googling and came across two different formula's both claiming to have Conover as a source, and both give different results.

The first formula is shown in the documentation on the PMCMR package on p. 17. The documentation can be found here. The same formula is also shown in a book 'Experimental Methods for the Analysis of Optimization Algorithms' on p. 319 (google books has this page, hope this link works).

Then there is another formula that produces different results shown on this website, and is also used in the SPSS syntax created by Timo Gnambs available here.

I followed both formula's in Excel and they ended with quite some big differences.

My main concern is the following: Did Conover simply discuss two different methods in his book, or is one of the two formula's wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies

p.s. I tried to show the formula's here with LaTeX but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work. Also the search feature on the site is not working.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,153 Posts

Re: Friedman post hoc Conover - 2 formulas?

Not familiar with the test and couldn't find online book at my affiliated university library. There is also the option of just asking Conover:

http://www.math.ttu.edu/~wconover/
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75

Thanks

Re: Friedman post hoc Conover - 2 formulas?

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    Not familiar with the test and couldn't find online book at my affiliated university library. There is also the option of just asking Conover:
    http://www.math.ttu.edu/~wconover/
    Thanks for the link. Hadn't thought about sending the author a mail. Just send it, hope he replies. If so, I'll post his response here as well.

+ Reply to Thread