+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What statistical test should I use?

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 27

Thanks

What statistical test should I use?

Hello,

I am currently working on my thesis proposal and am having to state the proposed methods of my data analysis. I am focusing on two aims: 1) analyzing whether individuals with metabolic syndrome have higher rates of depression; 2) analyzing whether individuals with metabolic syndrome have decreased quality of life over time. My data is longitudinal, however, I will need to look at the first aim in a cross-sectional manner since the data on depression is only available at one point in time for each individual. I believe I am supposed to use regression analysis to assess this aim, but I am not sure. If I plan to compare those with metabolic syndrome to those without, would I still be conducting a regression analysis on both groups of individuals? Or would this require some other test?

Metabolic syndrome is a binary variable (independent) and depression is a continuous variable (dependent), by the way. Thank you in advance.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Thanks

Re: What statistical test should I use?

Using regression analysis would give you the opportunity to include additional variables into the model, e.g. posiible confounders, which could account for a seeming effect of group membership, or perhaps variables which moderate the relationship between group menmbership and the dependent variable. For a simple 2-group-comparison, linear regression and t-test would be equivalent.

With kind regards

Karabiner
    »Jetzt kann mich der Führer mal am Arsch lecken.« (Ernst Kuzorra, 1941)

+ Reply to Thread