+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AMOS - interpretation of bootstrap indirect effects for one-tailed hypothesis

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50

Thanks

AMOS - interpretation of bootstrap indirect effects for one-tailed hypothesis

Hello all,

I'm testing for mediation using bootstrapping in AMOS. This method reports results for two-tailed significance, but my hypotheses are directional. With bootstrapping, significance is assessed based on confidence intervals - though a p-value is also provided. For regression, I would normally divide the p-value by two to get the one-tailed result. Would this be appropriate with tests of indirect effects too? In my case the two-tailed p value is .068 so it is potentially either marginal or significant depending on whether it is interpreted as two- or one-tailed.

Also, since, for these types of tests, CI rather than p-value is reported, is there an equivalent adjustment for the confidence intervals? I was told that I can calculate the confidence estimates using the estimate for the indirect effect +/- the std error times the value of the standard normal distribution corresponding to the desired Type I error rate (1.645 for a one-tailed test). However, when I do this, the CI I get is different from what AMOS produces. I can't tell if that is because I have misunderstood how to calculate the CI, or if it is because the AMOS numbers reflect bias correction that I am not accounting for when I calculate the CI myself.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Akwasi

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Thanks

Re: AMOS - interpretation of bootstrap indirect effects for one-tailed hypothesis

Hi there, welcome to the forum! Sorry for the delay in releasing your post - it was caught in our spam filter for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by adakwa View Post
    In my case the two-tailed p value is .068 so it is potentially either marginal or significant depending on whether it is interpreted as two- or one-tailed.
    I'd like to ask you a simple but important question here: Did you decide that a one-tailed test was appropriate before or after you saw this p value of 0.068?
    Matt aka CB | twitter.com/matthewmatix

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,155 Posts

Re: AMOS - interpretation of bootstrap indirect effects for one-tailed hypothesis

I haven't used AMOS before, but can you post your output so we can see what you are writing about.

Thanks.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Thanks Cowboybear

As mentioned, my hypotheses are directional - that is one variable is predicted to increase the other rather than just be related to it, so my understanding is that a one-tailed test is appropriate. I have generally been reporting one-tailed test results for my regressions. However, with AMOS, it is not possible to specify a one-tailed test, and with bootstrapping for indirect effects, usually the CI and not the p-value is reported. I received an email yesterday suggesting that right thing to do is to use a 90% confidence interval for the test rather than 95% and ignore the p-values. If you know otherwise, I'd be interested in your experience.

Thanks

Sure and thanks for your time. Please see attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Structural model.jpg‎
Views:	2
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	6836   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMOS Bootstrap analysis properties.jpg‎
Views:	4
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	6837  
    Attached Files

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,155 Posts

Yeah, using 90% CI seems reasonable. Your output was a little cryptic to me. I was expecting a more traditional/simpler looking mediation path!
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adakwa View Post
    Thanks Cowboybear

As mentioned, my hypotheses are directional - that is one variable is predicted to increase the other rather than just be related to it, so my understanding is that a one-tailed test is appropriate. I have generally been reporting one-tailed test results for my regressions. However, with AMOS, it is not possible to specify a one-tailed test, and with bootstrapping for indirect effects, usually the CI and not the p-value is reported. I received an email yesterday suggesting that right thing to do is to use a 90% confidence interval for the test rather than 95% and ignore the p-values. If you know otherwise, I'd be interested in your experience.
    Yep, in technical terms you could just use a 90% confidence interval to make the decision; that is more or less equivalent to a one-tailed test at a 0.05 alpha level.

The reason I ask about when you made that decision is that things like whether you want to use one- or two-tailed testing really need to be specified in advance (and preferably, publicly committed to in a preregistration). There are a lot of decisions to make with respect to any data analysis, and when we have the flexibility to change from two- to one-tailed testing after observing a p value just over 0.05 - or any of a myriad of other decisions we might make contingent on the data - it is extremely easy to come up with a "statistically significant" finding in favour of an hypothesis - even if it's false.

I'd encourage having a read over this article before moving ahead:
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...56797611417632
    Matt aka CB | twitter.com/matthewmatix

+ Reply to Thread