+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interpreting LOG-LINEAR(ratio) Model

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Interpreting LOG-LINEAR(ratio) Model

Hello,

I ve a linear regression model. The dependent variable is log transformed ln_EBIT (EBIT is in Million EUR). The independent variable is a ratio between RD / Sales (both in million EUR).
    The Coefficient is around -2,5.

If we change RD/SALES by 1 (unit), wed expect EBIT to change by -2,5% or -250% percent?

Is the effect now -2,5% or -250%? Im not quite sure if I have to multiple the coefficient with 100 because it is already a ratio?

Thanks in Advance,
    rmk

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,163 Posts

Re: Interpreting LOG-LINEAR(ratio) Model

My old notes say the following:

A one-unit change in X1 is associated with a (eB1 – 1) * 100 percentage change in Y,

this is approximately equal to 100(B1): If, -0.1 < β1 < 0.1, 0.1 is a rule of thumb.

So if I am correct, which seem to be quite a bit off from -250, I believe the *100 is a generalization, then for a ratio change of 1 you would have a -92% change in Y. Now the next question is, that I think Y is now on the geometric mean scale so, perhaps the results is:

For a 1 unit change in X1, you would expect a 92% decrease in the median of Y. Whew, not as clear as we usually think if I did that right.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

+ Reply to Thread