My dataset of 13000 patients has four variables to describe specific treatments they have received. The treatment variables are set up as string variables. Treatment 1, treatment 2, treatment 3, treatment 4. Within each treatment, there are between 0-7 different treatment types (e.g. chemo, surgery, radiation, none, refused). I am trying to regroup the variables into three groups (surgery only, surgery plus chemotherapy and or radiation therapy, all other treatments). I need to eventually determine frequencies of the new variables based on the overall cohort and then subgroups of the cohort. I have tried multiple response sets - however, this gives me total number of patients that have had each type of treatment but doesn't give information on specific combinations. (e.g. ~11000 patients had surgery, however this includes patients that had ANY surgery, not ONLY surgery). I also tried compute and aggregate functions - however, don't think I set up the include cases "if" properly. I also tried to recode the string variables into numeric, but this didn't get me any further ahead. Any other suggestions?