+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Convert z-score to t-score?

  1. #1

    Convert z-score to t-score?




    Hi, Is there a standard formula for converting z-scores to t-scores? I found something online that said t = 10z + 50, but I wasn't sure if that's universally true.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Points: 13,151, Level: 74
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Dragan's Avatar
    Location
    Illinois, US
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 223 Times in 192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unipsychologist View Post
    Hi, Is there a standard formula for converting z-scores to t-scores? I found something online that said t = 10z + 50, but I wasn't sure if that's universally true.

    Thanks!
    No, it is not universally true.

    For example, many psychological and educational tests are purposely constructed to follow a normal distribution. The purpose of T-scores is primarily to get rid of the negative values and decimal numbers associated with Z-scores.

    A common example would be the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) which uses

    T = 100 + 10*Z

    where the mean is 100 (not 50) and the values of T are rounded to whole numbers.

  3. #3
    Points: 2,391, Level: 29
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59

    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks. So in order to determine the proper conversion, I'd just need to identify the mean? Or do I also need to worry about the coefficient?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Points: 13,151, Level: 74
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Dragan's Avatar
    Location
    Illinois, US
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 223 Times in 192 Posts

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by unipsychologist View Post
    Thanks. So in order to determine the proper conversion, I'd just need to identify the mean? Or do I also need to worry about the coefficient?

    Both. For example, GRE scores have a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100.

    The main point is to turn standard normal scores (Z) into scores that the average person (who may have no background in statistics) can find meaningful.


    For example, could you imagine telling the parents of a child that their son (or daughter) has an IQ of -1.562 (the Z score).

    The response from the parents might be something like: "Oh my gosh my child has negative intelligence!"

  5. #5
    Points: 857, Level: 15
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 43

    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Convert z-score to t-score?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
    No, it is not universally true.

    For example, many psychological and educational tests are purposely constructed to follow a normal distribution. The purpose of T-scores is primarily to get rid of the negative values and decimal numbers associated with Z-scores.

    A common example would be the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) which uses

    T = 100 + 10*Z

    where the mean is 100 (not 50) and the values of T are rounded to whole numbers.

    Actually, the WAIS standard scores & scaled scores are not technically "t-scores." Therefore, the conversion is different, but it is also called a "Standard Score" (SS) for the full scale (mean of 100, SD of 10) or a "Scaled Score" (ss) for the indices (mean of 10, SD of 1).

    Don't get confused, though, because t-scores are sometimes called "standardized" scores.

  6. #6
    Points: 857, Level: 15
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 43

    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Convert z-score to t-score?


    Quote Originally Posted by amygdala9 View Post
    Actually, the WAIS standard scores & scaled scores are not technically "t-scores." Therefore, the conversion is different, but it is also called a "Standard Score" (SS) for the full scale (mean of 100, SD of 10) or a "Scaled Score" (ss) for the indices (mean of 10, SD of 1).

    Don't get confused, though, because t-scores are sometimes called "standardized" scores.
    Sorry - I got that wrong: Standard scores have a mean of 100, SD of 15, and scaled scores have a mean of 10, SD of 3.

+ Reply to Thread

           




Similar Threads

  1. Score
    By bugman in forum Random Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 09:38 AM
  2. z-score help
    By lilyungn in forum Statistics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 12:53 AM
  3. z score
    By sangfroid in forum Statistics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
  4. Z-Score?
    By RedFred2089 in forum Statistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 07:59 PM
  5. Z score
    By Amjad in forum Statistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 05:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts






Advertise on Talk Stats