Accuracy of a transformation of a data set

Hello,

I'm very new to statistics and ran into a problem that I don't know the answer to. I want to do a capability analysis, but my data set is not normally distributed, so I transformed it using the Johnson transform in Minitab. Now I had a normal distribution and very good CP, CPK values. However, when I also approximated another function to the original data, the values of CP,CPK were lower by a factor of 10.
Now my question is how accurate is the Johnson transform. When can I use them and when not? My P-value was always well above 0.05 for the approximation and transformation. The size of the data set is n=40.
I would say the approximation is way better than the transformation to describe the process capability of the data, but I can't say why.
1656313928162.png 1656313740620.png
left: original dataset
middle: transformed dataset (CP= 1,78)
right: Approximation of a Weibull function to the original dataset (CP= 0,88)
(Lower and upper spec should be the same for approxiamtion and transformation, if i havent done a mistake there)

Maybe you can help me with that.
Thank you very much
Leon

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Just out of curiosity, is it required for capability analysis that the sample data are normally distributed?
How will the transformed data be interpreted?

Just out of curiosity, is it required for capability analysis that the sample data are normally distributed?
How will the transformed data be interpreted?
As I understand it, the data does not have to be normally distributed. You can also carry out a non-normal distributed-capability analysis, this would be one of the above-mentioned approximations of other functions to the actual data.
But my question here would be, if the transformation delivers better values according to the p-value, can I also use them, do I even have to, even if the CP values are different by a factor of 10? Where does the error come from, or is a transformation ultimately just an embellishment of the values and my real process would ultimately fail despite good values on paper?
“How will the transformed data be interpreted?” that's my problem I don't know how Minitab or other software interprets this.