Affordable Statistics Software

Can anyone recommend a good statistics package that doesn't break the bank.

I have used SPSS in the past but I am no longer a student, nor a member of a large company/university, which makes purchasing SPSS completely out of the question for an individual like me that sometimes does statistical analysis as part of my work.

Using R

Moving from SPSS to R can be quite difficult. I am struggling to get the hang of it just now. It is a very different way of doing stats from SPSS.

I have found most of the documentation for it not particularly helpful. It reminds me of beginning using UNIX in the late eighties when it was taught to me by a programmer who could not grasp that some people might find it difficult....

If I had time I would write a "R for SPSS users" web page.

However, once you get the hang of it, you won't want to go back to using SPSS.

I am not quite there yet, I still use SPSS for some things but in a few months time I suspect I will say goodbye to SPSS.

Tips...

You really do need to start with the basics, don't try and jump straight in and start trying to do the same analyses you previously did with SPSS. You will get confused and frustrated.

If you can find someone who uses R and get them to show you some basic stuff, give you examples of simple analyses. This will help a lot.

Make sure you know your stats theory! A lof of people use SPSS in a kind of folk-knowledge kind of way. You can't do this with R. The bits of learning R where I have had most problems have been the bits where I hadn't got a proper grasp of the theory.

new

mishery said:
Make sure you know your stats theory! A lof of people use SPSS in a kind of folk-knowledge kind of way. You can't do this with R. The bits of learning R where I have had most problems have been the bits where I hadn't got a proper grasp of the theory.
Thank you so much for these tips. I want to learn R. Before that, I started to read a basic Statistics book. I am not sure if it's enough for me to learn R. Could you please give me a list of stats theory I should learn? Thanks a lot!