ANOVA interaction effect question

tkut

I conducted a 2(experimental condition - discrimination vs no discrimination) X 2(personality variable - a vs b) ANOVA on my continuous dependent variable (approach thought scores towards their ethnic group). My output showed that I had a significant interaction effect, and the estimated marginal means table showed the following:

Experimental Condition Personality Mean
Discrim condition A 2.394
B 2.636
Control condition A 2.571
B 1.780

My problem: the table doesn't tell me whether these differences are significant. How can I compare each group mean? i.e. 1) personality type A to B within discrimination condition, 2) personality type A to B within control condition, 3) personality type A in the discrim condition to type A in the control condition, and 4) type B in the discrim condition to type B in the control condition

Thanks in Advance!

Dragan

Super Moderator
How can I compare each group mean? i.e. 1) personality type A to B within discrimination condition, 2) personality type A to B within control condition, 3) personality type A in the discrim condition to type A in the control condition, and 4) type B in the discrim condition to type B in the control condition

Thanks in Advance!

Because you have a significant interaction - and to answer your question - you would conduct what are referred to as tests of simple effects. Find a textbook such as Howell's book that will show you how to do this.