Anyone up for a run?

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
i'm just seeing this thread. do i add all miles done since the beginning, or start from here?

i have had username issues so i don't often log in , and i only view a few pages...had NO idea this thread existed!
You add your mileage to the community total (and it is nice for our non-American friends if you throw in kilometers, too), and then state your personal total. But we've reached our goal. We should start a new thread with a new goal after we analyze our current trial run at this.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Confesion Time
I went nuts before dinner and ate about 10 spoonfuls of peanut butter. Had to work that off.

88.3 + 3 = 91.3 (146.93 km)

PT: 11 miles

188 calories*5 tbsp =940 calories
459 calores burned running < 940
:shakehead Not Good :shakehead Plus Side: 8.7 miles to goal :yup:
Calories per 2 tbsp PB: 180
~5 tbsp consumed
Calories burned calculted using http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm
Note that while the calories you burned during exercise may not have reached those consumed by the peanut butter, the real benefit from exercise is its lasting effects: increased muscle mass, higher metabolism, more calories burned during rest, better oxygenation of the blood, etc. The real amount of calories we burn is from our basel or resting metabolic rate--that "2000 calorie diet" to meet the needs of just being alive. Then there's the non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), plus the digestion thermogenesis (you burn about 10% of the calories you consume just by digesting it).

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
You could post if you want, but our goal was 100 miles and Dason just tipped us over. We're going to use this data (i.e., how long it took) to get an idea on our next distance challenge.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Okay, I did a quick run through, and I think everything I got was in miles and accurate. Not everyone consistently posted their personal totals so I had to do some counting. Here is what I got:

Dason: 17.9 + 2 + 9 - 0.3 (you went over!) = 28.6 miles (46 km)
interestednew: 2 + 5.8 + 5.8 + 11.6 + 2.9 = 28.1 miles (45 km)
bryangoodrich: 26.5 miles (43 km)
Trinker: 11 miles (18 km)
TheEcologist: 3.2 miles (5 km)
NN_STAT: 2.5 miles (4 km)

Since the total was 100, the percent contribution to the total is clearly the number of miles we contributed. I was hoping to get up to 30% (30 miles), but Dason had to ruin my plans! :p Nevertheless, I feel like interestednew was holding back on us. I don't believe you haven't ran since your last posting! What happened to TheEcologist? He posted in the beginning and we never saw another update!

Please, correct my numbers if I missed anything. Dason started this club on 26 May and it has now been completed 27 July. It is safe to approximate that we collectively did about 50 miles a month. Trinker also started late, but still in the time since he participated he contributed a good portion. If more people join us, we can acquire more miles in a month than presented in this first run!

So what do you guys think our next goal should be?

On a logistics note, I think you all should keep with updating your runs more! I made a habit of after running to make sure I jumped on TS to log my miles. Since I check TS at least once a day, I knew I would at least get my numbers placed!

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I think we should go for a longer goal than shorter. A single month is too easy to overlook, and more time leaves room to get more competitive (I would have beat Dason if I had more time to train! haha).

trinker

ggplot2orBust
No one else jumped in on a goal so I'm setting us a new one if you don't mind. If you all don't jump on board I'll asume I was overextending my reach :)

1) One month 100 miles as a group challenge. (We can surpass that if we can)
2) One month individual challenge (who can do the most)

We have new members interested (halfnormal), Dason (thanks for bringing us to our goal) is healed and the Ecologist should be moved in and settled so we should be able to reach it.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Sounds good to me. I was thinking originally we would make a larger long term goal but I like this idea of a shorter (if you can consider 100 miles shorter) goal but over a shorter period of time. That way we can customize the challenges as more people are interested or as some people drop out.

I think trinker picked a perfect time to post that as it's the beginning of the month. I'll go make a TSClub thread.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I'm treating this thread as an overall discussion thread for the other running threads and trying to keep those clear of planning. So...

It doesn't look like we'll meet the goal of 100 miles for August. I know I'm partly to blame for this since I sort of dropped out of running lately but I hope to get back into it again. I don't think I'll be able to contribute as many miles and I would like to. Any ideas for a good goal for September? Should we make the goal quite a bit lower for September and build up from there? I'm thinking either make the goal 50 or 60 miles. What do you all think?

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Maybe an exercise thread period. Possibly keep track of aerobic versus strength training? We might get more people involved. It would be interesting to do the stats on things at the end too. Just an idea.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
We could make a separate thread for that. I just don't want to have too much being kept track of in a single thread because then it might 2-3 pages back for the last time somebody ran as opposed to push ups or sit-ups or rode their bike. Maybe each month have an activity voted on by the community so maybe next month instead of running we try to reach a sit-up/crunches goal or something like that?

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
If you we do sit-ups, I will destroy you people :p

I like the idea of various activities. In training there's a thing called periodization. The basic idea is that you set an overall goal (e.g., compete in a marathon, play a championship game, etc.). To achieve that you make macrocycles (quarters of the year) composed of microcycles (4-6 weeks). Each of those cycles has certain goals that make up the phase. For instance, one phase of the macrocycle might be recover after the tournament while another is technical/skill training and another a competitive training period building up to the event. The microcycles focus on more basic goals made up of mesocycles (a week) with very specific goals (say, 1000 sit ups). I think of periodization because part of setting goals fits that mode of program design. Except for individual periods we're having a community period. We might even set up a "fair goal" for individuals. For instance, say we have a goal of 10,000 sit ups, then for ten participants we would expect 1,000 sit ups contributed. Thus, we have a community goal with individual benchmarks.

Also, when it comes to training, I have plenty of routines for those that are interested. Almost everything I can link to ExRx.

Saturday 2,5 km, today 2,5 km. Building up to start running frequently again - I've not been very active during the summer months. So is this still going on?

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I haven't ran in forever. I'm going to go buy another 24 Hour gym membership (2 yr certificate from Costco with mean 13.33 per month. Great deal!). I really can't workout if I don't have that environment in which to do it. I'll be up for more running challenges. I need to build back in. I'm getting fat!

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Yeah, it is great climate in California. It's more of a time and energy issue! I'm going to start forcing myself to get up at 0600 from now on. Then I need to get my working out done first thing in the morning. Otherwise, I'm at work and then school, and I don't go running during traffic hours. Though, I should just drive to the river or something. It's not far from me. Routine and discipline. I lack both right now!